Guineas, snakes and mothballs

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by blmack, Mar 24, 2012.

1. blmack

blmack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Pace, FL
    If I put out moth balls around my the outside of my chicken run, in order to deter the snakes, will my free ranging guineas eat the moth balls? I don't want to poison the guineas!

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  3. littlequail21

littlequail21 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2011
    i think the smell of chicken will out power a snake to The smell of moth balls. and my mother being scared of snakes, threw out a BUNCH of moth balls in the shrub garden. it was Moth ball city, well i had to pull up all the shrubs....Lol and when i reached down to pull up a root...it was a SNAKE! i needed a new pair of pants just from the shock.moth balls didnt help at all. he was Laying on them lol. i woudnt even both putting them out...Since moth balls are Poison...besides your Guineas are on your side, they will Kill snakes.

4. littlequail21

Jul 12, 2011
    i really dont think Moth balls work at all...Trust me. the garden snake Didnt seem to care at all. lol

5. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA

[​IMG] lmao!

6. littlequail21

Jul 12, 2011
    don't get me wrong i don't mind snakes at all, i just didn't think i would be pulling one up. Being shocked by it i tossed it in the air and backed off, then it laid there and i poked it with my Shovel going "Oh my god, i killed it!!" i guess that's the magic words to bring snakes back to life because he Rolled over like No ones business and gave me the stink eye...i told him i was sorry, and DON'T COME ANY CLOSER!!! and i let him go back in to the Grass. moth balls dont work..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by