Guineas Vs. Asian beetles

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by ScoobyRoo, Nov 18, 2009.

1. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    So far I have had alot of people say "why in the heck do you want those?! They are loud!" But regardless, I still want a least 6 to try out. I would be greatly relieved if someone said that they eat all the asian beetles (ladybugs) that have been swarming us on the warm days. That would be a "plus" in my book.[​IMG]
    Anyone?

2. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    *bump*
    Can I bump my own post?

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I wish I could have guineas here. It's a wonder the neighbors put up with the ducks! But I do have Asian lady beetles all over my house :-( Hope that's not a sign of a bad winter!

4. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Well,

I really dont know actually, but Im sure they wont hurt.... [​IMG]

I assume they would help, but as my guineas are still pretty young, Im not 100% sure....

5. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    No it is not a sign of bad winter here. We had them last year and I thought we had a mild winter. Not a lot of snow. Cold though. Now my DH will say different. [​IMG]

6. Aj1911

Aj1911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    guineas will eat just about any bug they can find

mine will eat butterflies even!!

7. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Quote:It's actually a sign of another failed government policy. They aren't here by accident. The US government released thousands of them in different parts of the country

8. Barry

Barry Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:It's actually a sign of another failed government policy. They aren't here by accident. The US government released thousands of them in different parts of the country

Did they release a bunch in Canada also? We were over run with them, a few good freezing cold days and they are much scarcer.

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    They don't have to. A good majority of the bugs are in the midwest because they were introduced to eat other pests off the soybeans. Not that far to the border.

10. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    The bad news is that NO they wont eat the lady bugs. Apparently they taste really nasty, so almost anything that eats one...will never eat another!

The good new is, they do eat Japanese beetles and ticks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by