Guineas VS Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ksalvagno, May 14, 2009.

1. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    For bug and slug control are guineas better than chickens?

I got my first 3 chickens and plan to get more and would like to free range them. I have other farm animals and would love to have some good bug/slug control. Someone had told me that guineas were better at it but I'm not sure that I would really want guineas. I am really enjoying my chickens and would rather stick with them. But I do need slugs eaten to keep Meningeal Worm at bay.

Thanks!

2. hawtchick

hawtchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    IMHO Guineas are better at it. I love my chickens and because of the noise level of the guineas, will not go back to guineas, but they are better at bug control, and far less distructive we have found on our landscaping.
    Good Luck!

3. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Ducks are the best for slug and snail control..

4. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    guineas are GREAT bug eaters- they love ticks!

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    Thanks for your replies. I'm really going to have to think about this. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of good input on this forum about guineas other than they are great at getting rid of the bugs. Plus I'm not sure I would want ducks in with my alpacas.

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    You asked about Guineas & bug control. What other information are you looking for? I've raised Guineas for years & would be glad to try to answer your questions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by