Guineas with swollen wattles, no other symtoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by quayzeeforchickens, Nov 30, 2009.

1. quayzeeforchickens

quayzeeforchickens New Egg

Nov 30, 2009
    I've been lurking here for a while and finally decided to join y'all. Reason being that 2 of my 7 guineas have swollen wattles. They are 14 weeks old. They have been swollen for 5 or 6 days now. No other symptoms whatsoever. I'm thinking maybe sinus infection? Possibly brought on by stress. One guinea died recently and the remaining 7 were not happy about it. The one that died had curled toe paralysis and we had to isolate it (put it in a cage) because the roosters were about to cannibalize it. I think it simply died from a broken heart as it couldn't hang out with his pals anymore. Anyhoo, any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. clkingtx

clkingtx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    I am pretty new here, too. Been lurking for a while, and posted for the first time tonight. I am thinking, if your guineas are acting fine, could it be that they are just maturing? I vaguely remember that our guineas had different looking wattles, males from females. Here is a link to a website with some pictures that demonstrate the differences.

http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/sexing/

Hope that helps!

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I agree with the above poster. My male guineas have open waddles with the open ends facing forward. My hen (only one I have left out of seven)'s waddles are small and face towards the back.

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/202600.htm
    (excerpt)
    "Fowl
    cholera is a contagious, widely distributed disease that affects domestic and wild birds. It usually occurs as a septicemia of sudden onset with high morbidity and mortality, but chronic and asymptomatic infections also occur..... Clinical Findings:
    These vary greatly depending on the course of disease. In acute fowl cholera, dead birds are usually the first indication of disease. Fever, depression, anorexia, mucoid discharge from the mouth, ruffled feathers, diarrhea, and increased respiratory rate are usually seen. Pneumonia is particularly common in turkeys.
    In chronic fowl cholera, signs and lesions are generally related to localized infections. Sternal bursae, wattles, joints, tendon sheaths, and footpads are often swollen because of accumulated fibrinosuppurative exudate. There may be exudative conjunctivitis and pharyngitis. Torticollis may result when the meninges, middle ear, or cranial bones are infected. ...."
    click the link above for the entire article , photos and treatment options.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  5. quayzeeforchickens

quayzeeforchickens New Egg

Nov 30, 2009
    I think y'all are right about it being the simple difference in male/female wattles.

I appreciate all the info and surely appreciate this site!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by