Guineas won't come down from tree--third day.

drdani67

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 30, 2012
I have 2 guineas that mostly stayed in the coop since it snowed several weeks ago. They decided 3 nights ago to roost in the tree about 100 feet from the coop and have not come down to eat or anything. We plowed a path so they should have a good landing area. Trying to coax them with food. Tried scaring them down. Nothing. Will they actually stay up there til they die? It's supposed to be subzero tonight. Frustrated!

DH has a telescoping rod from his job that is 25 feet when fully extended.
When ours did that, we would poke, prod, and knock them out of the trees, and they would eventually go into the coop. I had "trained" mine to get down from high places when they were young. When they would fly up to the gutters on the house I would get the water hose and yell/sing "Get Off the ROOOO-UUFFF!" and then squirt them with the hose. Eventually, they learned to fly down when I said that and it worked when they went too far into the trees to reach with the spray. I really don't think they will starve themselves to death up there.

Thanks for your experience. We tried everything we could today. We even got the chainsaw out and cut the branch they were on. They just jumped to another branch right before it fell. I put out kitchen scraps. They looked interested but didn't come down. As the sun was going down, they started to move but just into the neighboring pine tree. This is the fourth night. I don't know how much longer they will last. I will be sad if they die but we have done everything we can safely do.

Update on the guineas. The male spent four days and nights in the tree before finally coming down. The female spent two more night...a total of six days and nights, roosting in the tree, not coming down for food or water! She went in the coop today. The time and energy spent by my husband me....totally wasted. They come down when they are ready and not before. At least they are still alive......

Back
Top Bottom