1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guineas

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Jessie22, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Jessie22

Jessie22 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a question about my 4 month old guineas. The guineas stay in the barn all the time. I open the door and leave it open, they have only come out 2 times for a short time and then back in. They are always squawking especially when I enter the barn, the females start hollering and won't shut up until they don't see me and quiet down. In the evening when I go to shut the barn for the night they are squawking and the chickens won't enter the barn. The only chickens that enter are the 2 roosters and 1 hen. They are full grown. The small ones won't go in when the guineas are hollering. The guineas roost high in the barn. They make a mess (poop) in the barn and I am cleaning that portion everyday. I have had to block off a portion of the barn for the chickens because the guineas will go over and eat their food, they each have their food and at night I block that portion off so the chickens can have peace. I have never seen the guineas attack the chickens, they all just holler until night fall when the barn is quiet. I have 10 guineas and 9 chickens. I do want to get rid of some guineas, maybe 4 but I want to keep the females. I think I only have 3 females out of 10, wow. There is 2 males when they do go out that chase the others and make them fly up. I want thing a little quiet not holler all the time!!! Any suggestions and whats going on?

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Well, firstly, the females are the louder ones so its not going to get any quieter by getting rid of the males. Also, guineas are not like chickens and they like to pair up for mating. I personally prefer to try to keep as close as a 1:1 ratio of males to females, though others do successfully keep different ratios. IME they will quiet down around the 8 month mark (thankfully). As far as their behavior, I am not sure why they are not wanting to go out, but you don't have your location on your profile. Mine do not like snow AT ALL, so that might be the case. Also, guineas are very much creatures of habit and can be scared of new things, even if you move something.

Essentially, though, it sounds like you are describing normal guinea behavior.

3. Jessie22

Jessie22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes it is the females. When they are out, I can sit down and they all come up and start pecking my shoes and pants. Doesn't hurt though. I won't let them peck my hands, I am sure that will hurt. Just as I said they won't come out, guess what, they were all out. I am in NC and there is no snow just cold now and then. 30's to 50's during the day and 20's to 40's at night. It is starting to get a little warmer. Thanks for your reply.

4. ludwing

ludwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    SOUTH AFRICA
    That is lovely to hear, as long as they are around, our guineas wandered away,during the breeding season and never come back,moslty females.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by