1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guineas!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jessied1227, Jul 24, 2007.

1. jessied1227

jessied1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    So, after I got home from errands this morning, I came home to this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So, I have no idea how old they are...any ideas?

They are in with my chicks, and the guy who sold them to my hubby said they are raised on chick starter. Is this okay?

My chicks, who are almost 2 weeks old, DO NOT like them. [​IMG] All the chicks are on one side of the brooder and the guineas are all huddled on the other side. Will they get over this?

I wasn't ready for guineas. I *wanted* guineas but wasn't ready for them, YET, lol.

Help?? [​IMG]

Jess

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Did you see my post? Anyway, looks like you might have pearls and something else! [​IMG] Helpful huh? My older chicks and keets are separated by 1/4" hardware cloth are interested in eachother, but they are not together yet. The keets act like they want to be with the chickens but the chickens don't reciprocate. Your babies will get acustomed to eachother quickly. Keets are very reactive to movement, and not as forgiving of humans for our unbirdlike ways. Guineas can be raised on chick starter, but it is not the best and they will not develop as quickly as they would otherwise. They require a higher protein. My guess is that they are around two weeks old. Your keets might be older than they look though because of their food. They develop faster than chicks do. My keets at 17 days had no down left except on their necks and heads. You weren't ready but they are ready for you. You have 5 little gifts there! Cute babies.[​IMG]

3. jessied1227

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    LOL, I'll have to look at your post. My hubby was out with a friend at a feed mill and came home with these little ones. [​IMG]

When my husband asked what colors they were, the guy shrugged and said, what ever color they are now I guess. [​IMG]

He paid $20 for the 5 of them, and they threw in a bale of straw, which I guess I'll use for the dog box, lol, because I don't use it with the chickens.

They all seem to be getting better with each other, they're all about the same size as the chickens.

Tomorrow I'll just have to go shopping again, and get more baby stuff. [​IMG]

Jess

4. COgirl

COgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2007
    Falcon Colorado
    I too have some keets, 4. They arrived on Sat. pearls and lavs, I think. They are such pretty babies, but flighty compared to my baby chicks, they are about 2 weeks old. This will be a new experience. I am feeding them poultry and game bird feed and they seem to be doing well, once I get ahold of them they calm right down and they seem to like music, so I have a radio with them, they seem somewhat calmer with it on.

5. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Mine love the radio too! Sometimes singing to them was the only thing that calmed them. Once I accidentally left the alarm on, ran back to check on them thinking that they would be in a panic and they were sleeping thru it!

Jess, you might have pearls and lavendars. Oh next time tell your husband to get the oyster kind of pearls!

6. Wally

Wally Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    Texas Hill Country
    I understand they really like to have a mirror. I guess they're a little vain.
    My keets are going to be here on the 20th of Aug. I had to buy 30 from MM but I'm splitting them with some friends.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You have pearls and a lavender and something else. They can be raised on chick starter, but actually, guineas require a much higher protein gamebird starter, about 30% protein, to do their best growing. However, that said, it's better for chicks not to have quite that high protein. If you could get a chick starter that's at least 21% protein, not a Start & Grow type that is lower in protein, that would help.
    To tame guineas, it requires alot more effort and time than chicks. Mine were very tame, but had issues with some members of my flock and if one or the other had to be rehomed, it was the four guineas. I miss them alot!

8. jessied1227

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    Well, I actually had to separate them. [​IMG]

The guineas were roosting on the food pan, and every time the chicks would try to eat, someone would get startled and there was a lot of flapping and food flying and the whole water container spilled twice...

:thun

I do like them, lol. I just don't like being unprepared. They are pretty sweet. [​IMG]

So, now I have 2 brooders. [​IMG] One in the kitchen, and one in the laundry room, and the guineas have my husband's trouble light out of his pickup for heat tonight. [​IMG]

My elderly FIL, who lives with me, is an astute animal hater. He is so irritated tonight, it has me in a fabulous mood. All's he's done all night is walk around muttering about living on a farm...

...what's wrong with living on a farm? [​IMG]

Thanks to everyone for trying to identify my babies.
    Jess

9. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I had to separate my baby guineas from my baby chicks because the guineas were not being nice. I have them on chick starter but I give them a boiled egg to help give them more protein. I don't know if that will help but DH not much on wanting to buy a different feed right now.

Yours look a little older than mine and mine are 2 weeks old.

Good luck.

jackie

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Jackie, that's an excellent way to give them extra protein. I did that with my keets just as a treat and they loved it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by