Gullivor and the chicks

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by LoweBow, Mar 28, 2012.

1. LoweBow

LoweBow Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    My German Shorthaired Pointer didn't really know what to do when we introduced him to the 5 pullets we brought home 2 months ago. He litterally lived at their pin on point all hour of the day. He really freaked when we brought home a 1/2 doz chicks 4 weeks ago. They lived on the dining room floor in a rabbit cage for a week prior to moving them outside.
    Since they were moved out Gully has lived beside their pin any time he's outside! He stares at them all day and whines.
    During this time over the last 2 weeks we slowly introduced him to the hens and let them start free ranging...he was a champ! Because he never acted agressive toward them they showed no fear of him and I believe that helped calm the excitement. Over the last few days we've released the chicks for an hour or so with our supervision, but now have no fear that Gullivor will be great with them and actually protect them.
    I've owned many dogs in my lifetime, but he's by far the best.....when Gully was given to me 3 years ago as a put we really didn't need another dog. His owner had just gotten him and he was just too much for them and we adopted him. I'm a one breed person from here on out. Smart, loving, energetic, and a part of our family.

I snapped a few pics of him w/ my phone the other night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. PaintedWolf

PaintedWolf Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Kitsap WA
    Awwww....that's so sweet! [​IMG]

3. Gofygure

Gofygure Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    German Shorthaired Pointers are such fantastic dogs. I'm glad he's been so good with them. :)

4. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    I have a feeling my lab Sonja will be like that - she is very gentle about sniffing them, and tries to lick their butts like she did with our puppy. I don't *think she's tasting them...haha. It's my coonhound Lucy I'm worried about - she's all elbows, and I am worried she might hurt one trying to hold it down for kisses. Our cats got that treatment and always ended up a soggy, pathetic mess. She whines by their cage all the time! I hope I can train her out of it, she's easily my smartest dog...but also the most stubborn.

Love your photos!

5. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    [​IMG]
    Here's a pic of my furry kids and my feathered kids meeting in our yard! My dachshund will probably hang out with the chickens - he's an expert at noticing hawk shadows, so maybe they'll learn to run and hide from him!

6. LoweBow

LoweBow Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    That's an awesome pic!! Is that a wiener dog or a pup???

7. weimlikeschicks

weimlikeschicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Dachshund is how you spell "dox-in", and is the breed name for weiner dog, yes ;)

GSP is pretty closely related to the Weim so you are giving me hope. Lady has not met them physically but she has that same expression when she looks at them through the brooder screen. Hopefully with training and exposure we can all live together happily.

Thanks for posting pictures :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by