*gulp* Skunk!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chicks Galore3, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    So. I saw a skunk meandering around the edge of our grove. I ran outside and put the chickens in. (Carrying a stick, in case the skunk tried to get them.) They are all safe and sound in there coop, which I checked for holes, and made sure everything was locked. Will a skunk harm my chickens if they are out free ranging? Or should I keep them in? (It took all my might not to type this in all caps and put exclamation marks after all the sentences. I am literally shaking.)

2. Skunks are neat little critters. They stink pretty bad like opossums do. And I don't mean after they spray either. Just in general they kinda are a stinky critter. But they are still fun to watch as they pull at grass the way they do.

Skunks can harm a chicken but generally speaking they are LOW ON THE PREDATOR LIST.

If you want to keep skunks at bay, POUR AMMONIA AROUND (OR PEE) YOUR YARD, GARDEN OR COOP. Skunks avoid the smell of ammonia.

3. littleoak

littleoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Ashmore IL 61912
    A couple of things about skunks. They will kill your chickens. I have caught several doing that. We have a lot of skunks around here and I sometimes get ahead of them, but not always. Also another problem in our area is that almost all the skunks are rabid. That's why they are out in daylight and not afraid of people. They will squeeze in the tiniest hole in the fence to get in the chicken area. I shoot them and remove them with a long handled rake. Don't ever touch them because of possible rabies. The smell is very bad but goes away in a few days. There is no way to avoid the stink.

4. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Thanks guys! Tis the season for skunks 'round here. Yippee. Time to get the trap and the gun out I guess...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by