Gum Grafting Surgery! AHHHHH!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Tylt33, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Tylt33

Tylt33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    I have to have my gums grafted on Tuesday due to gum recession. Has anyone had this done before? I could use some reassurance and people telling me it's no big deal. The five prescriptions I was given today were... intimidating.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    OOh wow.... how the heck do they do THAT??
    Where do they get the skin from to graft? [​IMG]

My thoughts are with ya!! [​IMG]:fl [​IMG]

3. muddypuddles

muddypuddles Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    My DH had it done last summer without too much complaining so it must not have been too bad. They gave him a guard to wear on the roof of his mouth where they took the graft but it bothered him so much that he never wore it but didn't have too much pain. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine [​IMG]

4. Tylt33

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Quote:They cut open the soft pallet of the roof of your mouth and get the flesh beneath.... yeah...

5. Tylt33

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Quote:Thank you! I kicked out the extra $150 for the mouth guard... I plan on at least wearing it once to get my money's worth.

6. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I had to have two gum graft surgeries. One to graft my receding gum line on the lower set of teeth, then later for the upper. I was young, I forget how old exactly (22 now), so it wasn't because of wear and tear. Apparently super low gumlines can happen to kids.

The actual surgery wasn't bad. I had conscious sedation, so I was right as rain and feeling good [​IMG]! Afterward I was brought home by a family member and slept that off. I was prescribed vicodin for pain, and I will admit, it was necessary. The roof of my mouth was covered over with some plaster bandage sort thing that could be removed in few days, but it was just painful where they put the grafts on, I remember. I barely ate until it began healing just because my mouth hurt, soft foods at that. Thankfully the mouth heals up quickly! I consider it on par with getting the wisdom teeth out.

7. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I also had gum graft surgery on my lower gum beneath my two front lower teeth. This was due to my gums being pulled down as the "frenum" was too tight. They also cut the frenum to prevent future problems.

The frenum is normally connected from the inside of your lower lip to the gum tissue between the two lower front teeth. If it is misplaced, the frenum is usually attached to the gums somewhere in the middle of a tooth. When this occurs, each time the lower lip moves, it tugs on the edge of the gum tissue until it starts to pull it down from the tooth.

It was quite a few years ago (over 20), but as I recall, the roof of my mouth where the graft was taken from was sore for a lot longer than the gum where the graft was placed. I agree it was comparable to wisdom teeth surgery. You do have to be careful what you eat for a little while as the roof of your mouth will be tender and hot/cold sensitive.​

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  8. Tylt33

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Well, I made it through having all four of my wisdom teeth out, so I think I can do this. I'm having the conscious sedation thing as well... they gave me two halcion to take an hour before surgery and then I think I get a local anesthetic and maybe gas when I go in? I'm prone to anxiety, especially at going to the dentist. I have receding gums from some combination of genes/teeth grinding/braces/brushing too hard. Lucky me! Thanks for the input, posters!

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good luck with the procedure. The Princess had bone grafts in her jaw and although initially painful the recovery was quite rapid. Keep us informed on how things go.

10. Tylt33

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Well... I survived. The hydrocodone (generic vicodin) they gave me made yesterday a nausea filled day, even though I stopped taking it after the first dose. I hate puking, and imagine puking with a retainer stuck in your mouth and 1/2 of your outside outer gums swollen and stitched up like Frankenstein. I prevented disaster by immediately lying down and taking a cold shower a few times. The surgery itself went quickly thanks to the meds, but I distinctly remember tears coming down my face and them wiping them away... not sure if it was from the big horse shots to the mouth or when they were cutting out pieces of my upper mouth. I'm already tired of ice cream and shakes and would kill for some good Chinese food. On the upside, I haven't had any pain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by