gummy red poop reason for worry?

taxidermist

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 16, 2014
I have 22 chick's in a 4'x3' brooder box I made with a wire floor and a pull out tray. So they are not lying and foraging in their own filth. I change water daily and fill feeder medicated feed. Yesterday I noticed some red gummy looking poop and now I'm concerned about cocci? The stool looked firm with a red jello like substance.I have also noticed a bit of light brown diarrhea.
Should I be concerned? Most of the chick's I hatched in an incubator from eggs I ordered online. I had a poor hatch rate (40%). A few act lethargic but the ones that do have been that way from day one.in fact several had to be helped out of the shell.I contributed that to shipped eggs. I also have 6 leg horns from tsc.

Today I can't find any red or gummy stool but I do see light colored diarrhea.
It is my understanding the red gummy stool may simply be a chicken shedding some intestinal lining?
I switched to Purina medicated starter today.it seems to be better quality (tho much more expensive) than the starter I have been giving.
Any help or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Anyone?looking at the poop Chart I found on Google or is most likely cecal poop work traces of intestinal lining. Which is quite normal. The red poop I have seen doesn't look like cocci. (According to the chart)
This is a big relief

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom