Gun Laws in YOUR State

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mattemma, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Is it hard for you to buy a gun?

I was showing my husband some handguns Gander Mountain is selling. He commented that the gun might be inexpensive,but I will have to jump through a lot of hoops to get it,carry it,and use it.

I know there is an application before you get the gun. If you want to carry/conceal it you have to take a class and pay for a permit.Does not seem so bad,but I don't have the faintest idea on the cost of the class/permit.

There was this gun that looked like something a soilder would carry.Shot 30 rounds.Cost a bit over 1k.It amazes me that just about anyone could go to the store and buy that gun.Here is it....

http://gandermountain.shoplocal.com...id=1296759&pagenumber=7&listingid=-2082243681

If you have guns did you do a class and pratice with the kids,or just talk to them a bit on your own?

2. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Long guns (rifles and shotguns) can be purchased from stores here with a quick background check to make sure you're not a felon. You can also purchase them privately.

Handguns, you need a permit to purchase, and I do know a couple years ago the concealed carry class was $145, a couple days of classroom training, and a session on the gun range to show proficiency in shooting.

Here's a good place to start for gun laws, including purchase, state by state - check the dates though:

http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/#?st=MI

Yeah, it's the NRA, sometimes gets a bad rap, but it is an accurate compilation of laws, state by state.

3. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    Here in WV, background check is required for both long guns and hand guns if buying from a dealer.

Concealed Carry class is around $50 with an additional $50 for the permit. You can carry without a permit but the gun must be visible, not concealed in any way...but be prepared for someone to call the police and make a fuss. [​IMG]

I lived in Northern VA at the time I took my class, it was about 3 hours of classroom time, then about an hour of range time. Had to shoot both revolver and semi-auto. Once I moved back to WV I was able to take my VA CCW and transfer it to WV with having to repeat class.

4. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    It's going to be different in every state. Ohio was not one of the gun friendliest states, though I believe your laws changed recently, so your DH may be right. More important than anything, get to know your states gun laws and if you travel with it, know the laws of the states your traveling through. For the longest time MI was kinda land locked with gun laws as OH, ID and IL were non reciprocating states. I believe IL still is.

In MI we have to get a permit/background check to buy a hand gun, but not shot guns etc. A CCW requires a class and shooting time and back ground check. I enjoy being able to carry. We have the castle doctrine so we no longer have to retreat to the farthest corner of the house (so to speak) to protect yourself.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yes IL is still non reciprocating state. It is illegial to carry a concealed weapon as lobbyists are trying to get it passed but got vetoed out every time.

You do have to have a permit to buy and own a long guns and hand guns and have a cleared background check.

Black powder guns (as we do for CW reenacting) we do not have to have a permit but I have not renewed my permit for two years now. Good idea to take a class and practice range shootings before really taking it out on hunting or protect your property and family.

Can't fathom doing this? Get a dog! [​IMG]

6. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    I hope it gets changed for IL... the whole thing is stupid really.. I believe Chicago is the big hold up for you.

Big dogs are a good detourant, one that is PP trained is even better. (I miss mine)

7. Hoss1975

Hoss1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    north central Indiana
    Every state is different,here you just have to pass a background check and you can purchase a long gun or hand gun,no background check for a muzzle loader.But over in Illinois there gun laws are just ridiculous,they have obammy to thank for that [​IMG].IL also has county's where you can not hunt with a gun,bow only but that is local laws.

8. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    I guess Florida is somewhat different then the States mentioned above. it is pretty easy to purchase a hand gun or a rifle froma dealer or from a gun show. The dealer does a quick background check and the gun is yours. I also have a concealed weapon permit that allows me to carry a concealed weapon on my person. Normally you need to take and pass a course and then fill out an application with a fairly complete background check. I was in the military and I did not need to take any test, just showed them my miltary discharge papers, fill out the application and got the permit in the mail a few weeks later.

9. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    We don't need a permit up here for handguns. Was funny see how shocked new comers were when they found out a person could carry a concealed gun down the streets of Montpelier. "That law needs to be changed!" they say. To which a native replies "When was the last time someone was shot in Vermont out of hunting season?"

The federal regulations for all states is background check, if criminal record 3 day waiting period- felons can't own guns. The other rule is you can not purchase a gun for another person. Silly as that is, when buying a youth gun in low caliber (obviously for son or daughter) you must answer the question "Yes, this is my gun." prior to sale.

10. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    Minnesota:
    You can buy long guns over the counter.
    Handguns go through NIX check (federal) and state check with permit's issued at sheriff's discretion. They MUST grant carry if you have a clean record.
    Carry permits are variable by county, between $80- $100.
    Permit to carry classes are required IF you plan on carrying. They run anywhere from $75-$150, good for 5 years.
    You don't need a carry permit to buy a handgun, just the backround checks.
    Carry is open or concealed- your choice.
    No carrying if over .03 alcohol.

Suits me just fine.

BTW- in 8 years, we've had 1 shooting by a permit holder, resulting in death.
    Our state sponsored light rail boondoggle has had 8 people killed by trains in 4 years. Hehehehe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by