Gun lovers - SKS?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Q9, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Q9

Q9 General Headache

I was doing a little searching for rifles on the internet, and came across the SKS carbine. It seems like a great gun, and my dad has shown an interest in purchasing one, but I have a few questions.

First, are they available at your average gun shop?

Second, how much does the basic model cost - no scope rails, no modifications to accept AK-47 magazines, no extra features?

Third, is it really as reliable as I've heard?

Thanks in advance.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    My husband has one from Springfield Armory (do a google search). You can order one from the Armory or get one through your local Pawn Shop. They tend to be readily available - keep in mind that most are ex-military guns and are not in perfect condition. As for cost, I have no clue what they are going for now. Try www.gunbroker.com to get an idea.

3. The Poultry Peanut

The Poultry Peanut lives under rock

On Gun Broker right now they (sks's) are mostly under $500. AK-47s run about that price too. The Ammo is costly to shoot; over $200 per 1000. I have been looking at the AK-74 my self...runs about $420 for the gun and the ammo is around $140 per 1000 rounds if you look hard enough. The AK-74 can use a lot of the AK-47 accessories too. And in case your wondering, the difference between the AK-74 and AK-47 is the caliber. AK-47 shoots 7.62x39 OR you can shoot .308 through it; they are the same size.
    AK-74 shoots 5.45x39. Oh and the mags are fairly cheap online for TAPCO mags.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  4. gogoalie

gogoalie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Alaska
    I had one, got rid o' it quick! Just a hunk o' metal & wood that's wasn't even worth purchasin'...didn't like it one bit...as it was Heavy & cumbersome, & very inaccurate...give me an M-16/Ar-15 any day over the SKS...ANYDAY!

5. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:gimme my AK any day. I have no more than range experience with an m-16/AR platform, but I love the simplicity of the AK. It just plain works. It was a carbine designed for 300m and less and it works very well within those ranges [​IMG]

6. jbowen9

jbowen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    I own a sks bought here for 250 bucks with scope and bayonet it isnt a bad shooting gun for price and look i have for the most part kept it stock except buying 2 30 round clips. Ammo usually runs around 200 bucks for 1000 rds so not bad to shoot about 5 dollars for 20 rounds just to give you a comparison i also own a 7mm mag rifle which is about 20 to 25 dollars a box for 20 rounds. Now far as shooting i have ran couple of thousand rounds through mine and yet to have one hang so very reliable it should go bang when you pull the trigger. Yes they are available around where i live at least which is just north of you. Hope this helps

7. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Quote:Heh... AR-15/M-16s are a little bit out of our price range. $1500 for a gun that US soldiers in Vietnam would throw away in favor of the enemy's AK-47? [​IMG] Most reviews say it's pretty accurate up to 200 yards.

Thanks for the advice, though. I did a little searching, and I found that the typical price is about $300-$400, sometimes as little as $215. I doubt that the $215 ones are in good condition, though. [​IMG]

8. gogoalie

gogoalie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Alaska
    Sure it is, but when yer out there on patrol, or a forced march, yer AK'll become DEAD WEIGHT, & when it comes to sight in on the enemy, you'll be all over the place...sprayin' bullets, exactly what both the SKS & AK were designed for...The M-16, much lighter, & lower weight projectiles, & powder, etc. is easier to handle, less recoil & near pin point accuracy...within 300 yards...tis a wonder so many NVA fell at the hands of US soldiers in the battle of the Ia Drang, Tet Offensive, etc. etc...Save yer money & Buy American!

9. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Quote:gimme my AK any day. I have no more than range experience with an m-16/AR platform, but I love the simplicity of the AK. It just plain works. It was a carbine designed for 300m and less and it works very well within those ranges [​IMG]

I'd love an AK-47, but it's tough to get my dad sold on it. I have no idea why. Actually, AKs are a little more expensive than the SKS, plus, I think he likes the fact that you can get away with having a bayonet on the SKS. [​IMG] My intention, therefore, is to save up my own cash for an AK. Which might take a while, seeing as they usually go for $500...

10. The Poultry Peanut

The Poultry Peanut lives under rock

I'd love an AK-47, but it's tough to get my dad sold on it. I have no idea why. Actually, AKs are a little more expensive than the SKS, plus, I think he likes the fact that you can get away with having a bayonet on the SKS. [​IMG] My intention, therefore, is to save up my own cash for an AK. Which might take a while, seeing as they usually go for $500...

Here is an AK-47 for $389 buy it now http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=190777341 And it looks like it has a bayo [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by