Gun owners and shooters, may I ask your opinions, please

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by jerseygirl1, Jul 21, 2010.

1. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    OK, DH and I are taking firearm lessons, and then we are going to apply for handgun permits in our county. The main reason for this, is actually self-confidence on my part, for him it's mainly because I feel he could use them. We do not own a gun yet, obviously. I am asking your opinions on what would be something that I could handle on the small side. Preadtors are an issue here, yes, and we would need to get something that one of us could use to dispatch one quickly, if the need arises.
    If we could just limit it to opinions on which one is best based on personal use, that would be great. And it is not limited to ladies, either.
    Thanks.

2. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

As far as predators, I like my sawed off, pistol grip Remmington 12 gauge. For personal defense I favor my Khar MK 9, as it is an amazing fit in my hand. My DH hates it, his hands are a little too big, and it feels funny. They do sell an extended clip, that makes it much easier for him.

3. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    A 22 or a 17 hmr works great doesnt kick back and will surely kill any predator shot with it
    The 17 hmr is great if you dont have much shooting exp just because if you even scratch what you shot at its going to have real problems [​IMG]

4. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I like my 22 long rifle, not sure on the predator control but I am not very big and the 22 Henry that I have is just the right fit, I would go to some gun shops and hold different guns when you find the right one you will know.

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    In my opinion, you can't beat the basic 22LR for economy and function. I prefer a single shot bolt action rifle for varmints, small game hunting, and accuracy. For your concealed carry handgun, factors to consider are: a semi auto is slim and easy to conceal, but may jam on you and they can be sensitive to the brand and/or quality of ammo. A revolver would be recommended for reliability--if the hammer falls on a dud round, the next one will work. But it is bulkier than a semi-auto.
    I have some semi-auto 22LR rifles, but don't use them much, I like my bolt action 22LR rifle for actual hunting---I don't need a rapid follow up shot, cause if I wasn't sure of my target, I don't pull the trigger in the first place. My favorite gun is the old fashion 32 cal flintlock black powder squirrel rife-----but that is a whole other story.

6. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I like my shotgun, because the only predators I really have to worry about are dogs, coyotes and foxes... they're fast, and it's often dark (have a flashlight on the barrel), but even if I miss, the spray is likely to get them a little, and the noise is formidable.

7. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Honestly as a woman who shoots and owns both rifles, shotguns, and handguns let me tell you this : You may get 100 responses on 100 different guns to your question, and the only right answer to one of your questions the one on 'what gun' is : We can't tell you whats best for YOU - each gun has its own platform, grip, recoil, and easy/difficulty to load and pull the trigger. Also if you want a gun both you and hubby are comfortable shooting : it probably wont be a handgun - you'll be better off with a rifle or shotgun if you only want to get one gun, because hand size/grip size is a big factor on the comfortable-ness on shooting and helps a great deal on dealing with recoil IMO when you're able to have a good solid fitting hold on a gun and can easily operate it ie pull back the hammer it if its a revolver and pull the trigger. Your husband will more than likely need a gun with a larger grip and you'll need one with a grip too small for him to handle comfortably.

For raccoons, possum, dogs, coyotes a .38 caliber would be a good choice - but most handguns are close range weapons and all handguns the farther you are the less likely you'll hit your target - again a rifle would be better.

The honset and best advice I can give you is first shoot a few different calibers - and find a caliber you are comfortable with general recoil and decide if your more comfortable with a revolver or a semi-automatic. Then go to a pawn shop or store and ask to try out guns, pick a few to just hold and aim with feel how it settles in your hand and find a gun that fits your caliber type and your hand size.

honestly one of the most popular handguns for women is the 9mm glock 26 - which I have one - it was my first gun. I also have an older .38 and a smith and wesson .44 magnum.

Have fun, and don't stress take your time to learn which weapon is right for you guys. [​IMG]

8. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I agree that a 22 cal with a target barrel is a girls best friend. You can hit things with great acuracy and it is light weight and comfortable to shoot. I have taken out many a pred as well as pests with mine. Just LOVE it! Mine is a Browning but there are many fine firearms makers out there so you should have no trouble finding one that fits you as well as your budget [​IMG]

9. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Previous poster is correct. 100 replies and you'll get 100 different answers.
    My self I'd have the .22 (haven't shot a 17 hmr but would like to) the shotgun, and then a handgun for each of you. The only thing you're not going to take down real quick would be a bear. (though the right slugs in the shotgun would take care of that). Its all personal preference. Some recommend a Glock, I don't care for my Glock. Its too light weight and takes much more practice with to become proficient. Colt 1911 .45 cal is my handgun of choice.
    Don't buy just any shotgun either. You do get what you pay for. Go cheap and you have cheap.

10. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    For personal protection from 2 legged predators I like the Compact 40cal. I personally carry a M&P Compact .40 3.5 in barrel it hold 10+1 rounds.(+1= in the chamber) For 4 legged predatores I like the quieter, smaller .22 I spent hours in the gun store trying to find one that felt really comfortable! Make sure to try out holsters too!!! You must find one that is comfortable to use, hold, and carry!

Just a quick NOTE: Here if you can not carry your weapon into a building ( should be posted at the door) You can NOT leave it in the car! If you do it must be secured in a fireproof lock box secured to the vehicle! Permit or not if you are caught carrying a weapon when its posted not to, You will be prossicuted! You will lose the weapon, your license, and face jail time and fines! Be very aware of the laws and rules in your area!

Congrats on the personal protection decision!

Good Luck and God Bless!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by