Gun people again.

Not asking what is the correct word mind you but what actual word do you actually use day to day to

• Clip

Votes: 29 39.2%
  • Magazine

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters
I use both interchangeably but anyone from a gun forum would quickly snap on me (already happened) but I believe that is a magazine because the clip is already in the gun or something along those lines. And the m1grand I believe uses a clip because the magazine is in the gun?

Do you know the correct form? I knew it but then I forgot (actually the gun forum I was on was an airsoft forum and they were in the off topic section having a debate about it)

The gun snobs I am dealing with call it a magazine. Thats what a lot of people seem to say is the only right word. I have never actually heard anyone call it that in real life. Everyone calls it a clip here. I figure it is a regional dialect thing an will not change to make other happy.

Talking with others something came up. My grandfather that raised me was in the navy in around 1945. In the navy the word Magazine is a place not a thing. Its where ammo goes in the ship. May be why I was raised to call it a clip.

I don't think its a big deal. Its just something that makes language interesting.
Others act like I burned a bible or something though.

Sorta funny though. They keep talking about "guns" when the word gun actually means a smooth bore weapon like a shotgun. Most modern weapons are rifles. Even most pistols are rifled so they are also rifles.

I say clip cause it is faster and in the "heat" of the airsoft moment magazine can get you tounge tied then they laugh and then you get shot.

Nitpicking small details make people feel smart and elite and stuff. ;)

I was torn between voting "magazine" and "other", because I usually say "mag". Although now that I think of it, I never need to say it often. Over the last few years, I've grown painfully bored with gun forums. After about a year, you've read everything anybody is going to say anyway...

It is not snobbery, it is merely a fact of using the correct term. Magazines are any box like object used to contain ammunition in a preloaded fashion, ready for immediate insertion. Clips simply hold onto the base or rim of the cartridge, with the majority of the cartridge exposed. In a magazine, you will only be able to see one or two rounds at the most at the top of the magazine. With clips, you see almost the entire cartidge with all cartridges exposed. Correct usage of the correct term is not snobbery. It's like calling an internal combustion engine a "motor". Sure, lots of people do it, but lots of people are wrong as well. What is the problem of learning the correct terminology when talking about a subject that you have a lot to learn about? I'm just now starting to learn about chickens, and I'm trying to learn things correctly as much as I can. Wouldn't I look foolish, and get corrected by everyone on this forum if I repeatedly got "combs" and "waddles" mixed up? Would the correcting members then be "snobs"?

Beers y'all,
Ken

Sorta funny though. They keep talking about "guns" when the word gun actually means a smooth bore weapon like a shotgun. Most modern weapons are rifles. Even most pistols are rifled so they are also rifles.

I would be interested in reading your source for these definitions. I have been in the "gun" world for over 50 years, and I have never once heard your definitions. No state that I am aware of, nor the ATF define firearms in this manner. If all pistols with rifled barrels were classified as "rifles", then they would be classified as SBR's, or Short Barreled Rifles by the ATF, which would make them very difficult for your average person to aquire.

Ken

I have to call it "other." I am no gun person.
I call it, "the thing that holds the bullets."
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom