Gun people question..

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rebelcowboysnb, Jan 19, 2012.

1. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Would you carry/keep for defense a auto pistol if threw disability could not manipulate the slide to load or clear jams on your own(shooting one handed) or would you take the hit on capacity an get a revolver?

2. JD4570

JD4570 Chillin' With My Peeps

You can learn to shoot, clear jams, and reload one handed. I'm not disabled but the training I took you learned these things. My Instructor tied one of my hands to my belt at a time and we had to learn how to use either hand, we usually used our belts to manipulate the slide. It wasn't the easiest thing I've learned but I'm glad I did.

3. Artemis Fowl

Artemis Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Arizona
    It would depend on the disability, but a company makes a charging handle for a glock so it's easier to manipulate the slide, another company also makes something called a slide pull assist. It is basically a ring that attaches to the back of the side. I'll try to find a picture to post.

[​IMG]

4. rebelcowboysnb

An how much time does it take you to clear a jam an get back to firing that way?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  5. rebelcowboysnb

The original discussion that it comes from was a elderly man with 1 arm an weak in the other. So I really mean cant.

6. berniezahm

berniezahm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    Seems to me that old 1 armed fellow would have just as much trouble loading and unloading a revolver as he would unjaming and clearing an automatic. Sort of like trying to scratch his elbow when it itched.

7. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    Heck, I have two hands and sometimes have trouble working a slide if the recoil spring is stiff and there's not much to grab onto. (small hands.. wimpy)

I've read repeatedly that the average number of shots fired in gunfight is 7. That's from both sides. So, a revolver isn't much of a handicap.

I keep a beretta. The slide is easy, holds 15 rounds and if need be... it's hefty enough to use as a club. ;)

8. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Why bother with a weapon that isn't fully functional for whatever reason? It would depend on the weakness of the fellow's bad arm as to whether a revolver would represent a `hit' on capacity... [​IMG]

9. rebelcowboysnb

10. Ole and Lena

Ole and Lena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    I think I'd go with the wheelgun and make 6 count. Magazine capacity is overrated. If your really concerned about having more rounds, maybe carry a secondary compact auto like a Bersa, PPK or Kel-tec.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by