Guncky Eye Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DONDChick, Mar 7, 2014.

1. DONDChick

DONDChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    [​IMG]

Give me some advice please. New hen. Very withdrawn from the others. One eye is milky and itchy. She cackles when she rubs it. Her neck is wet, and she prefers to keep her head looking toward her tail.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would suggest that your hen may have a respiratory disease such as coryza, mycoplasma,gallisepticum, or even a form of Newcastles disease (3 forms--the severe form is not known in the US presently,) because it sounds like your chicken could have wry neck if her neck is twisted. Here is a link to look at listing those and other diseases and one on wry neck to see if it fits: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/search/lesion/361
    http://oureggbasket.blogspot.com/2013/04/wry-neck-or-crook-neck-understanding-it.html

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There are several things that it could possibly be: First, look closely in her eye and see if you see a thin white worm(s,) about 1/8" long. It could be eyeworm. If you see the worm(s,) post here again and let me know. I'll tell you how to treat it. Secondly, she may have some sort of debris in her eye. You can liberally flush her eye with a saline solution then put a dab of neosporin ointment in her eye 3 times a day for a couple of days and see if it clears up. If it's not eyeworm and not debris in her eye and the neosporin didnt work, it could possibly be the onset of a respiratory disease. Normally there would be other symptoms that you'd notice but you havnt mentioned none. I suspect it could be debris in her eye.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does the chicken have any bad odor around her head, or does she have any gurgling or wheezes? Any swelling around an eye or the face? Most respiratory diseases are chronic and make carriers of the whole flock, so I would separate her until you decide what to do--cull or treat. Antibiotics will help with symptoms, but won't cure most diseases. Do you live in a tropical climate where eye worm might pose a problem? They are very rare, but will cause a chicken to practically scratch their eyes out.

5. DONDChick

Mar 18, 2013
    I'll check for the eye worms. She is new and very Leary of me. I haven't noticed any other issues with her. I was thinking respiratory because the first night I had her, she was treated to 80 degrees then the next day ice! She won't go in the coop with the others... Very withdrawn. The others who came with her shipment are doing well. Thanks I'll update tomorrow

6. DONDChick

Mar 18, 2013
    Update. Have applied eye antibiotics and giving an anti poetic in her water. Eye remains shut. Odd thing. About mid back she has a habit of fanning her entire back feathers forward, exposing an odd "stem" which she rubs and when touched is painful.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Are you talking about the oil gland at the base of the tail feathers?

8. DONDChick

Mar 18, 2013
    I don't know. I need to google body parts. I have never seen any of my hens curl their back feathers up like that.

9. DONDChick

Mar 18, 2013
    Okay I googled, it does look like an oil gland, but it's higher up her back than what the pictures show. Is it normal for them to fan it up and rub their face on it?

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Here's a pic of the oil gland at the base of the tail feathers. Can you post a pic or two what you're seeing? They will nibble on the oil gland then preen their feathers which is normal.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by