Guniea Eggs for Hatching

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by ThreeBoysChicks, Nov 14, 2008.

1. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Who will have hatching Guinea eggs, what breeds and when do you think, you will have them?

I notice that Ideal does not have theirs available until June. Is that because the Guinea's don't start laying until April or May?

I had purchased Guiinea's from Ideal this past summer. They were straight run. I purchased Hatcheries choice. I got 3 different varieties, but they all turned out to be males. They are no longer with us.

I was hoping to get some hatching eggs next year to use in my new Miss Prissy / GopherBoy / SpeckledHen incubator. I list those three as their threads are the ones I took ideas from to build mine.

Oh and I am in Maryland so if you live near Maryland, hopefully shipping would be quicker or maybe I could pick them up.

Thanks for responding!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Guineas lay from about May - October.

It is extremely hard to tell a male from female. It is easier to be able listen to them.

My hens turned out to be an excellent layer. I hatched 3 batches without any problems at all.

A couple people on here even had some of my guinea eggs as extras and all hatched.

3. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Thanks Miss Prissy.

I listened and had a lady who had guineas for years (unfortunately she doesn't any more) listen. Never once have I heard a two syllable sound. The lady said, those sound like all boys.

So will you be selling hatching eggs in May / June?

If so, I will make a note to remind myself to contact you at that time.

This is so crazy, I am planning out my hatches for my incubator for next spring already. I have a lady who is going to give me some Delaware eggs to use as a test hatch.

4. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    I had a guinea lay an egg the other day. They are all young. I have mostly lavender(2 females, I think the rest are males), one white (male) and one French (female).

They have been hanging out by the nest boxes. So if I have any hatch during this off season I'd be happy to send some your way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by