Guniea Questions....

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Chik-N-Crazy, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Chik-N-Crazy

Chik-N-Crazy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    Currie, NC
    Hi, I hope I'm posting this in the right spot, I have finally started to get guniea eggs. I have stuff in my incubator right now so my question is, do guniea eggs keep the 5-7 days like chickens? Also, they are 28 days to hatch right, and the temps, humidity is just like chickens correct? I hate to have so many questions but this is my first guniea run, there is not nearly as much info available about hatching them. [​IMG]

2. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Temps and humidity same as chickens but they need turned at least 5 times a day. They do also take 28 days. They need either turkey or game fowl starter once they hatch. Other than those couple differences they are pretty much like chicken eggs.

3. Chik-N-Crazy

Mar 4, 2009
    Currie, NC
    Thanks, for the help, the gunieas I have now and some others that a animal got we fed chick starter. Was that a bad thing to do? They are healthy and grew fine. What is in the game starter? I don't mind feeding them that, I have some turkeys in my incubator now, so I will have to get the feed anyway. If I have chickens and turkeys together, will it hurt the chicks to eat turkey food?

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

deleted

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Eggs will keep for 10 day, hatch same as chicken, most hatch easy, but dont zip around the egg like chicken, just bust out.

6. Chik-N-Crazy

Mar 4, 2009
    Currie, NC
    Thanks, so the chicks will be fine with the higher protein temporarily with the turkeys. Since the turkeys are due to hatch first, I will have the correct food on hand for the gunieas!
    Thanks again for your help! [​IMG]

Quote:

7. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Thanks so much for posting this question. This is exactly why I logged on tonight. I just dropped 3 doz eggs in the bator and then it occured to me that I did not know the correct temp or humidity. Good luck with your hatch![​IMG]

8. Yep, 28 days and use an automatic turner for your sanity.

Take them out of the turner at day 24 or 25.

Guineas that go broody are nice, but usually a bator has to
    come into play.

Feed med. starter for first 3 days, then swithd to a mixture of
    starter (chick) and starter or game bird starter (higher protein)
    at 50 percent until day 10.

Then go to straight game bird.

Keep the water clean every day, they are picky.

Guineas grow quickly.

Keep the humidity up for the last days.

You may need to help them out of the shells as Guinea shell are harder than chick shells.

At 8 weeks you should be able to see which are female by the double syllable call.

GOOD LUCK !! have fun.

9. coyote_hunter

coyote_hunter New Egg

Apr 14, 2009
    Seem to have problems at my altitude (8700') with my guineas, they are dying before pipping. Running 99.5 at 40-50 rh Thoughts?

10. Chik-N-Crazy

Mar 4, 2009
    Currie, NC
    Quote:That's kind of where I was at, I have been hatching chicks, but I have 2 sets of gunieas housed with my big chickens. I was sooo excited to see the first egg, so I took it in the house and told my husband we finally have a guniea that's laying!! I want to hatch some which is why I have kept the loud gunieas!! Then when I thought about it, I didn't have a clue what to do!!! [​IMG]

Our adult gunieas we bought as babies, I've only feed them chicken food and they are penned with the chickens. I didn't know about a different food or anything. They are healthy as can be, I just wish my other hen would start laying too!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by