Gunieas and Ducks

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by MysticalMom, Jun 26, 2011.

1. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Guineas and Ducks. Anyone have both? How do they tolerate each other? I've never kept the 2 together. They have separate pens and coops, but the guineas will eventually free range with the ducks. (all the guineas are only 4 weeks old right now) Oh and space is not an issue, there's 266 acres to share. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    I don't own any ducks (yet), but I have sold keets to 2 customers that have raised them together (one has geese too) with no issues. They pretty much graze/range side by side and do their own thing as they mature (both ranches have plenty of acreage, separate coops/pens and a water source for the ducks/geese), and all the Guineas steer clear of the water but one particular dingy Hen that thought she was a duck and took a swim or 2 in the creek trying to pal around with her duckies, lol (she eventually figured out that swimming was not her forte` and learned to fly over the creek) [​IMG]

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I have raised them with all kinds of birds including ducks and they did fine.
    [​IMG]

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Ya know with all the land ya got ya may need some peafowl next [​IMG]
    Sorry i am an enabler [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    When your free ranging yes it should work fine. But I wouldn't suggest cooping them together. Guineas are extremely fast so can tramble ducks on accident. I've lost a few birds to this happening.

6. Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Marion, Ohio
    Great question. I was wondering the same thing my self. I have 10 muscovy ducks and 6 guinea chicks together in a brooder now. They seem to be getting along just fine but I do have separate homes for them one they are old enough. They will free range together during the day though.

7. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Quote:Pssst... Guinea keets [​IMG]

8. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:What is that bird on the left?

9. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:What is that bird on the left?

Looks like an Egret or a Crane or Heron of some sort. Very very pretty. We have white and blue Herons here and Egrets.

10. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Quote:LOL @ enabler! Mhmm, you are!

Amazing pic... they are giving that guy the rubber necked Guinea staredown [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by