Gunieas laying eggs...

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Chik-N-Crazy, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Chik-N-Crazy

Chik-N-Crazy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    Currie, NC
    Does anyone know much about guinea eggs? I have two pair of guineas they are about 9-10 mos old, we've had them since they were babies. When will they start to lay? Will it be clear which eggs are theirs and which are the chickens? They are pinned together and do not roam w/o supervision. Thanks for any help!

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    They are a seasonal layer, and thier season is about here, you will be able to tell, thier eggs are smaller than a full sized chicken egg, and will be pointier(is that a real word??) and if you go to crack one, it will be harder than a chicken egg.
    [​IMG]
    left side is a bantam Cochin, center is Guinea, right is Leghorn egg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  3. Chik-N-Crazy

Mar 4, 2009
    Currie, NC
    Do you make any different accomadations for them to lay, or will they use the chicken nests? I have heard they like "private" space, so I thought about adding some branches or "brush" like material in the corner of the house, but if they don't really need it, I'd rather not add a potential hiding place for mice and such!!

4. jlmann

jlmann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Good luck with your guineas! Mine are very private layers and will even escape from their coop/run to go hide eggsand they even move their nesting spot around on me sometimes if they see me getting eggs. My grandma used to swear by guinea eggs for baking,supposedly made cakes etc. fluffier .I think she used a ratio of something like 2 or 3 guinea eggs to one chicken egg.

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Mine freerange, so its like easter egg hunt time everyday, they like bushes with thorns the best, or at least that seems to be my findings. [​IMG]

6. chickenboy95

chickenboy95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2008
    se ohio
    im also glad u made this post because i have 1 guinea hen and 4 MALES and shes about 8 months old.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have been told that guineas can smell if you have been in their nest. Quite a few people have told me that you need to use 'something' to take the eggs from the nest. One friend has a plastic spoon taped onto the end of a broom handle, so she doesn't even need to go near the nest.

8. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I stand boards up in the chicken coop, guineas like to hide their eggs. I take all the eggs except for one. This keeps them laying in the same location.

9. Chik-N-Crazy

Mar 4, 2009
    Currie, NC
    Quote:That's about what happened with us!! I can never have 1 of anything so when I saw guniea chicks at the stock yard I had to have $20.00 worth, which was 8 total!! My husband said why can't you just get a couple, but I wanted to make sure that I could have males and females and the possibility of eggs, well, they killed one themselves, so out of the 7 left, 2 females 5 males!!! [​IMG]

10. I have 10 guianas.well they are my GS but i take care of them and feed them so I call them mine and they roost in my trees. I still haven't found a nest but I think 2 are setting wish I could find her and add some of my rir eggs. [​IMG] marrie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by