GUNK in incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cason, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Staggered hatch- this first hatch left "gunk" in the wire, and water reservoirs. The next hatch is in two days (Cortunix quail) Should I remove those eggs, clean the incubator, then put them back in?

2. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I would say no, but I've only used my incubator once. I had a staggered hatch and 6 days in between and took out as much crap as I could quickly, but left the rest.

That's only my guess. It worked for me.

3. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Excessive opening of an incubator is highly frowned upon. Just live with the gunk until you can shut the incubator down and clean it right.

4. Cason

Not a problem! I didn't know 'if' that GUNK would somehow contaminate my remaining eggs.

5. encmanerabbitry

encmanerabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    Tilbury, ON
    I had the same thing happen, I just left it though. Didn't have any problems, all the other eggs that could have hatched, did. But when I could finally clean it, boy was it stinky! [​IMG]

ETF typos. lol

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  6. Cason

I don't mind opening the incubator at all. Even a hen gets off her next once in awhile [​IMG]

7. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    If you choose to stagger a hatch without a second hatcher, you should allow at least 5-7 days between. You can take the tray and wire out to clean quickly after the first batch hatch out. Like was mentioned hens do leave the nest. The thing is the incubator needs to stay as warm as possible so when you put the eggs back it does not take hours to stablize the temperature. Hens as a rule do not leave the eggs for the final three days as that is when the chicks are pipping the internal membrane and a most vulnerable to sudden temperature changes and steady heat and humidity is necessary.

It is best to take the tray and wire grid out to clean, while leaving on the top so the whole things stays warm. I would cover the eggs with a towel so there is not excessive cooling there. Clean the grate and tray really well with antibacterial soap at the least. HovaBator says to clean the incubator with soap and water only. I use OXine to clean any of the incubators I have.

While people are sucessful with hatching eggs right after others have hatched you are asking for trouble. There is bacteria in the mess left behind in the incubator and the environment is perfect for it to grow and become something very toxic to your chicks.

It is very easy to rig a hatcher from making a home styrofoam unit. A Light bulb with a dimmer switch work great. No special electrical knowledge is required. It is a much safer way to stagger hatches and keep the environment as sanitary as possibly for the babies growing in the eggs yet to hatch.

8. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The eggs are about day 16 then? I'd carefully but quickly take them out, clean the bottom of the bator (foam, plastic tray and hardware cloth) with anti-bacterial soap and hot water. Pat it ddry real quick and get it put back together and your eggs back in. It should take less than 5 min. and if nothing else will be worth your peace of mind. I agree with Jaynie, the left-over bacteria from your last hatch will catch up with you and I wouldn't risk it. You can candle your eggs at the same time so all you have to do on Day 18 is bump up your humidity.

Good luck! [​IMG]

9. Cason

I thought Cortunix are supposed to hatch on day SEVENTEEN! AAARRRGHHH

10. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Sorry, missed that part! Automatically assumed chicken.... [​IMG] [​IMG] Do you have your eggs in a turner? That would make it super easy to lift them out and do a quick scrub down.... [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by