Gunkless Bumble Foot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by The Kibble Goddess, Feb 5, 2012.

1. The Kibble Goddess

The Kibble Goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Sylvania, Ga
    Just noticed a scab on my Della's foot. It was the size of a green pea. It was already half off. I thought, "Oh, no, bumble foot!" So I got out my gear and started soaking her foot. I'll admit I didn't soak that long because as I was massaging the foot, I could feel the scab getting looser and looser. Was able to pull the scab off. There was a hole, but no yellow gunk attached to scab. Dug around with my tweezers and couldn't get anything out. I poked around hard enough to make her flinch. Plastered the hole with Neo and wrapped her foot.

So, did I jump the gun? Was it not bumble foot? There was only a slight swelling, but no redness, but it really did look like the scabs shown on BYC before.

2. ruffles

ruffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    When our chicks have had that issue, I also clean, at times there is pus, I apply blue kote to seal off the area

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've had the same thing happen, go in there digging around and dont find any infection, all for nothing...not to mention stressing the bird. Sometimes bumblefoot disappears on its own for some reason. I dont mess with it unless the bird is either strarting to limp or there is redness around the scab. Try sanding your roosts free of burrs and splinters, lower them if they're too high. I've sanded mine and lowered them down to about 22 inches and havnt had any problems since.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  4. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    When you're pressing around the scab, if it's bumblefoot, you should be able to feel "lumps". That's what you want to dig out. It's not necessarily one lump...and in my experience (short...) it's not directly under the scab, nor have I see any pus with it...just several lumps. So feel around! Good Luck!!! :)

5. The Kibble Goddess

The Kibble Goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Sylvania, Ga
    I have only two roosts in the coop, don't rightly know how high they are, I think 15" and 22". The thought was that they would hop up to the lower one, then from there to the upper one. They do that going up, but coming down, they kind of drop like like rocks to the sand floor. I'll have to look at lowering that top roost. I'm afraid though that if the roosts are the same height there'll be more picking on each other from roost to roost. Choices, choices..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by