Gurgle Help!

Smiller1090

Chirping
Sep 27, 2020
Fountain County Indiana
Brought a girl home yesterday with 3 others which I had not integrated into my flock yet, Thank God! She is gurgling in her breathing this morning. I separated her from the 3 she came with because they seem fine. What should be my next step? My vet doesn’t take birds so please keep that in mind! I tried to upload a video but it wouldn’t let me.

I double checked her crop and throat with no success. Went ahead and gave her a dose of antibiotics. It’s been two hours since I gave her the shot and she already sounds 80% better. No more gurgling when breathing, only a little gurgling when talking. She is snuggled in to her inside the house cage for the recovery. Prayers she pulls through 100%. She’s one of the sweetest chickens ever.

I had a gurgling issue. The rooster died two weeks ago and I took it to the local extension program for a necropsy. It was LT (infectious laryngotracheitis). The doc will be out tomorrow cull the remaining flock of 7. So, the symptom you mentioned is concerning. It is a respiratory issue for sure. I think the inevitable will happen for your chicken, and the others if you are not careful. I would vaccinate the original chickens immediately and hope they haven't already been exposed, in which case the vaccine would not work and they will be a carrier going forward.

Also, don't step foot on another chicken yard... you could spread the disease.

Vaccinate chickens? Really?! I’ve never heard of that and have been around chickens my whole life! Just never had one get sick like this. The people I got her from had heat in their coop at night and I do not provide heat. She was fine yesterday so I’m guessing she just got cold. I’ve given her some yogurt for probiotics, and ACV for immune booster and am giving her a shot of antibiotics this evening.
I hope you are right. Keep me posted. (BYW... chickens are often vaccinated. Many before you even get them if you get them from a large reputable hatchery like Hoover's Murray McMurray and others. You can always learn something new when it comes to chickens.)

We can do this without a video. Photos might be of help. But what really helps the most is detailed descriptions of his condition. Paint us a picture with words. Lots of adjectives.

Here are some things to do. Check his crop. Feel it for fullness and texture. Is it full and squishy like a water balloon? Hard and lumpy like there are rocks and fiber in it?

Check inside is mouth and throat. Have someone hold him wrapped in a towel to restrict his wings and feet for your safety. Have them pry open his beak wide while you check inside with a flashlight.

Look for foreign material in his throat and look for scummy buildupon tongue and roof of his mouth. Check his eyes for bubbling and nares for discharge.

What does his poop look like. Details are important. Don't just say, "runny". Color, what's in it, how frequent?

Look over your other chickens. Some may have some sign of the same symptoms and this can be significant to what the diagnosis will be.

How is his appetite? What is he eating?

Vaccinate chickens? Really?! I’ve never heard of that and have been around chickens my whole life! Just never had one get sick like this. The people I got her from had heat in their coop at night and I do not provide heat. She was fine yesterday so I’m guessing she just got cold. I’ve given her some yogurt for probiotics, and ACV for immune booster and am giving her a shot of antibiotics this evening.

Back
Top Bottom