Gurgling Blue Marans

Cryss

Eggcentric
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Northwest New Jersey
I’ve looked at threads about gurgling and have started using those bits of information but I still have some questions.
Edna is a1.5 year old Blue Marans. I feed everyone Purina Flock Raiser crumbles supplemented with oyster shell. There have been no introduction of new birds since January 19th. These had been quarantined for 30 days.
Tuesday, 4/20, as I was putting everyone to bed I thought she was growling at me then realized she was gurgling. Since my spare/quarantine coop is in desperate need of repairs I had to scramble to prepare a dog cage inside my house. She is in my living room with food and water which she is eating and drinking and her crop doesn’t feel hard or squishy. Not ideal living quarters but oh well. I see no worms in her throat. I see no eye bubbling. No other flock members are currently exhibiting similar symptoms. She laid an egg yesterday the 22nd. Her poop was normal the first day or so but now is loose. (She pooped diarrhea on me this morning while giving her medication!) I have some human amoxicillin 500. I’ve read the basic amount would be 177mg twice a day. Since I can’t measure that exactly I’ve settled on splitting each capsules into 3 separate doses which are about 166.66 each. I do this by mixing a full capsule contents with a bit of coconut oil and crumble feed, form that into a tiny rectangular loaf, and cut it into 3 pieces. It goes into the fridge to firm up. The plan is 2 doses a day for 7 days. She received 2 doses on the 21st and again yesterday the 22nd. She was given her morning dose today.
Ok, so that’s the background of my situation. Today I’m wondering if 7 days is long enough, should I just split the capsules into 2 doses of 250mg instead of three doses of 166.66? She is still gurgling. There have been a few coughs and sneezes. When should I expect to see less of these symptoms. They haven’t increased but they haven’t decreased but maybe it’s too soon to expect that? Should I continue for 10 days? 14?
Also I’ve read conflicting statements about any flock with an incidence of respiratory issues should be made a closed flock.
Any thoughts? Insight?

Oh, and I am going to be giving yogurt because I know the antibiotics can cause the diarrhea. I also have some natural probiotic capsules I may add to the pill mix. The ingredients are fermented mix of black pepper, ginger, and turmeric.

Back
Top Bottom