"Gurgling" chickens and treatment

twoacresofhappy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Georgia, USA
A few days ago, our only roo started sounding "gurgly" when breathing. He was acting and eating fine, but someone told me to treat him with Duramycin. After a few of our hens also started making the noise, I was advised to get Tylan 50. Since I have 20 chickens, I looked locally for the oral version but couldn't find it. The local feed store advised a combination Duramycin and sulfadimethoxine for 5 days, since "those two drugs are the same as Tylan 50". However, after spending a bit more time on THIS forum, I'm finding that that isn't true, and that Duramycin can be pretty icky (as well as some of the URIs that it treats).

In addition to my 20 adult chickens, I have 11 youngsters who should be joining the big ones in a few weeks.

I really don't want to cull if I can avoid it, but I am second-guessing my decision to use the Duramycin and sulfadimethoxine, and instead order Tylan 50. We JUST put the medicated water outside for them about 20 minutes ago. Should I pull this water and wait to find/order Tylan 50? Does anyone have any other recommendations, or know where I can get the Tylan50 online?

Editing to add: I went ahead and discarded the medicated water after it was available to them for about 40 minutes; should I still avoid their eggs for the next 21 days after such a short potential exposure? The only symptoms my sick ones have (there are 5 out of 20) are the gurgling sound. No sneezing, no eye or nasal discharge, and definitely no decrease in egg production. My daughter mentioned seeing "a green poop" in the coop, though, but my flock free ranges for most of the day, so it is possible to miss seeing more.

Last edited:

TOP KNOT

Songster
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
SHERIDAN IL
Sounds like infectious bronchitis, common cold. Add vitamins/electrolytes to the drinking water and probiotics. I just went through this, got infected chicks from rural king, spread through my flock like wild fire. They recover rather quickly.

dawg53

Humble
Premium member
11 Years
Nov 27, 2008
Glen St Mary, Florida
A few days ago, our only roo started sounding "gurgly" when breathing. He was acting and eating fine, but someone told me to treat him with Duramycin. After a few of our hens also started making the noise, I was advised to get Tylan 50. Since I have 20 chickens, I looked locally for the oral version but couldn't find it. The local feed store advised a combination Duramycin and sulfadimethoxine for 5 days, since "those two drugs are the same as Tylan 50". However, after spending a bit more time on THIS forum, I'm finding that that isn't true, and that Duramycin can be pretty icky (as well as some of the URIs that it treats).

In addition to my 20 adult chickens, I have 11 youngsters who should be joining the big ones in a few weeks.

I really don't want to cull if I can avoid it, but I am second-guessing my decision to use the Duramycin and sulfadimethoxine, and instead order Tylan 50. We JUST put the medicated water outside for them about 20 minutes ago. Should I pull this water and wait to find/order Tylan 50? Does anyone have any other recommendations, or know where I can get the Tylan50 online?

Editing to add: I went ahead and discarded the medicated water after it was available to them for about 40 minutes; should I still avoid their eggs for the next 21 days after such a short potential exposure? The only symptoms my sick ones have (there are 5 out of 20) are the gurgling sound. No sneezing, no eye or nasal discharge, and definitely no decrease in egg production. My daughter mentioned seeing "a green poop" in the coop, though, but my flock free ranges for most of the day, so it is possible to miss seeing more.
The person at the feed store that recommended combination duramycin and sulfadimethoxine, stating they are the same as tylan 50 is a knucklehead that doesn't know squat about poultry meds. I don't know what you mean by duramycin being "icky" since it's used to treat a bacterial respiratory diseases such as CRD (MG/MS.) Dosage is one tablespoon of the soluable powder per one gallon of water for the 800mg dose given 7 to 14 days. There's a 21 day withdrawal period after the last dosing of duramycin 10. If you are dealing with a viral diseases such as Infectious Bronchitis (IB,) the duramycin will be ineffective as will tylan and any other antibiotics. They will only treat secondary respiratory bacterial infections.
If in fact the respiratory problem you're dealing with is treatable, I suggest using tylan 50 injectable. It is more potent than duramycin 10, less treatment time, and a 7 day withdrawal period vs 21 days with the duramycin.

Top Bottom