Gurgling hen after bear attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cultivateuse, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Cultivateuse

Cultivateuse New Egg

Aug 15, 2011
    Hi --

This is my first time posting here and I'm hoping you all can help me figure this out...

On Saturday night a bear broke into the coop and killed 3 hens. It trashed the run, ripped hardware cloth in half to climb into a window and tore apart the poor chickens. Another chicken looked like she wasn't going to make it but she rallied by yesterday morning. She is missing some feathers but I can't find any blood or wounds on her. She is, however, gurgling and has her beak open all the time. She's moving slowly and seems traumatized, but she's walking around and eating and drinking.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong and how best to treat her? The other chickens are not picking on her, so I've left her in with them for now (there's only 6).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

2. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    did you shoot the bear? My cure all is watermelon cubes in the summer and frozen watermelon in the winter its natural sugar for stressing chicken.....she is most likely scared spitless...does she feel like she has broken ribs? did he squeeze her hard enough to damage her if so do her a favor and put her down.
    What was he after? if the Bear wasnt killed or caught and relocated he will be back he has located a food or water source...so you may need to relocate your hens till he is relocated....
    So sorry we have had several bear around here they are coming down for water....its been a dry year here in Okla

3. Cultivateuse

Cultivateuse New Egg

Aug 15, 2011
    I didn't know that about the watermelon! Definitely worth a try. I'm not sure about the ribs -- it's possible, but I'm not sure how to tell (I'm afraid of squeezing and hurting her!)

I didn't see the bear, but a new 4,000 watt electric fence went up around the coop yesterday. Makes me feel very nostalgic for the days when I had a free ranging flock...

4. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    I am wondering if a rib didnt break...but mother nature heals alot of things if she is eating and drinking leave her be just try some extra treats....and a good rifle might be a good thing to have handy your bear will be back...

5. Bigcreekpeafowl

Bigcreekpeafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Hi,
    A bear? That's scary. Makes our raccoon and skunk problem seem small.
    With your hen there could have been a lot of injuries internally that you can't see on the outside.

Air or blood pneumo or hemo or both pneumo/hemo thorax. Quite serious.
    Broken bones. Hopefully it is bruising and the trauma that is all that is wrong.
    I would try to make sure she keeps natural upright posture. Helps with breathing and to prevent fluid accumulation.
    . You mentioned gurgling. That is fluid some where it should not be. Keep warm, quiet.

I would consider giving a baytril (antibiotic) injection if you are able.
    Steroids usually help a lot with trauma such as this. Access is difficult for many without consulting a vet though.
    I hope you have good luck with her and preventing any more bear attacks.

Wow, still say that is scary!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by