Gurgling/Rattling breathing, yellow mouth discharge

Chickens-246

Songster
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
I have a 3 year old hen that has some heavy gurgling/rattling while she breaths, I can hear it from ten feet away. Her breathing if very labored. Sounds like a heavy bronchitis. There is yellow mouth discharge as well. Her comb is also turning purple. A vet is not an option.

Last edited:
Doesn't sound good at all. You could try a search on impacted crop; at least the things people do seem to work sometimes, and I would think this was a possible cause. I don't know much about it; seems like one thing to try is a little bread soaked in veggie oil.

That sounds an awfully lot like how mine started with what I am pretty certain is infectious bronchitis. I started a thread on it today. Has she been exposed to new chickens or have you been around some other chickens with in the last several days?

Good luck. Mine are still sick, some a little better but so far no one has died. Have you isolated her from your others?

I read your thread Carolyn, but it's not clear how your treating them. How are you treating them?

The last new chickens were introduced a year ago, first thing I did was isolate and clean (bleach) the community water bowl.

With the blue comb, that is lack of oxygen in the body.
Now, do you have an antibiotic like Terramycin or even an injectable antibiotic available? Sometimes you can call your vet and have them load a syringe for you.
Does the mucus smell? If it does, it COULD be coryza and some of these diseases are brought to us by wild birds not unclean living conditions.
A hen can go out, eat off the compost pile and yet damp feed can kill them. Go figure.

Not saying this is what the problem is, but I just had a hen die from having a egg go through her internal cavity. She had a grayish white discharge from her sinus and eye area.

Continue on the treatment you are doing if you have no ability to obtain antibiotic. You are not a bad chicken owner if you cannot treat her, or if you give water and try oatmeal or even bread. You are only able to do as you can, and remember that! We are not able to do everything.
If she lives, she will be a strong hen, keep up your good work!

I'm sorry to hear that your hen is not doing well. I had some respiratory problems not too long ago. After going back & forth for a few weeks I finally decided to treat them with Rooster Booster DeWormer. It is contains Hygromycin B which from what I could find was the only wormer actually designed for swine & poultry & safe for them. Rooster Booster is also used for the treatment of Chronic Respiratory Disease. I couldn't find any information that showed whether terramycin was safe for chickens. The company states that you can give the Rooster Booster indefinitely to your chickens without any harm. But I didn't want to give it to them constantly. I mixed the RB with their food in hot water (so it all dissolved together.) My chickens couldn't get enough of the warm food. I gave it to them for 4 days straight & now they are all better. My one Rooster had the same heavy & labored breathing. Yesterday, his crow was finally back to normal. I hope that you are able to find something that is just as successful for your hen.

I've put electrolytes and vinegar in the water. Fed yogurt and scambled eggs though they are not eating much. Just supportative treatment. And some of that wasn't started immediately. Most seem better. Hope yours gets better also.

I had been giving mine vitamins in their water as well for about 2 weeks thinking the added vitamins would help their immune systems to fight the illness. It didn't seem to make much difference however.

Back
Top Bottom