Gurgling, wheezy new shipped rooster.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vetgirl00us, May 19, 2010.

1. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    I just got a new OEGB roo and hen yesterday that had been shipped overnight. They seemed fine yesterday. I just went out to check on them after arriving home and noticed they had drank all their water so I refilled and they were drinking alot. The roo kept sticking his head into the bowl like he was trying to peck the bottom but then he would swallow. Then I noticed that he was gurgling and wheezing and kept shaking his head. Did he choke on water or is he sick? The hen seems fine,

2. vetgirl00us

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    Okay, he is definitely sick. He is blowing snot bubbles every so often. He seems to feel fine. Eating, drinking, breeding his hen, preening. I'm worried.

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    were the new birds quarentined if not seperate them right away so they do not share air space or living space with any of your birds. clean the watere and feeder and change the litter if it was mixed in with the rest. Then try to diagnose what the illness is and either treat or cull. personally if it is a resperatory thing I would cull all of them immediatly or at least the sick one.

Good Luck.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Remember, quarantine is NOT for you to treat the birds. It is to allow symptoms to surface so you will know not to add them to your flock at all. If they were shipped to you sick, then I'd take pics or get a vet report and complain to the seller. You do not want those birds in your flock, ever.

5. vetgirl00us

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    This is an adult roo (and hen) that i got. Just the pair shipped to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by