gurgly breathing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Firefly994, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Firefly994

Firefly994 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2013
    One chicken got half its head swollen.it died.the rest are all breathing very loud very gurgly treated 2 days with sodium sulfamethazine 20ml/gal water.then ran out and its not sold in my town so have to make a long trip.before i do i thought id ask her for more suggestions. 3 died in the past 12hrs. One dosent seem able to stretch her legs out.just sits.yesterday she was ok.no other chickens seem to be having leg problems.down to a couple eggs a day(from about 80 birds) it dropped very quickly.might also be from sudden lower light conditions.any recomendations on what i should get for them? I dont have a lot of money to buy a ton of meds.should i do sulmet again? Maybe combine sulmet with something else? Any ideas on cost(im in bc)?

2. Firefly994

Aug 16, 2013
    The sulmet did seem to have a positive effect

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I read about your birds on your other thread. You may want to repeat the Sulmet, and add Gallimycin (erythromycin) since hey apparently work well together. You probably have more than one disease going on here, including coryza and perhaps mycoplasma. It sounds pretty severe, and many people in this situation would choose to cull all sick birds. So if you want to treat them I would use the 2 meds together. Here is a link--read post # 3: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/427265/tylan-vs-sulmet-vs-gallimycin

4. Firefly994

Aug 16, 2013
    Do you know an approx cost on these?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  6. Firefly994

Aug 16, 2013
    No im in bc. Im being told now that we are not "wasting our money" in medicine and i have been instructed to find a homeopathic cure...any ideas im not very optomistic about homeopathy for this circumstance

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by