Gustav!Hope everyone is OK!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by tiki244, Aug 31, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    They broke into the program on tv and said it is heading towards New Orleans. And is picking up speed. That people have evacuated from, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama? O anyway almost 2 million people. Its scary and so sad. Those poor people and the animals. I am worried. I just remember Katrina, the pictuires of the people and the animals and the stories. They say early Monday which could mean real soon.

ETA HOWs everybody doing?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    man...that is so very scary!!..i also remember katrina..what devastation!!....i cant even imagine what its like to go through that....i pray for them....[​IMG]..Wendy

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    yes thats a good idea I will too.

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    The last 40 to 50 years have been mild for hurricanes. Meterologists,
    both pro and con global warming all predict an onslaught of heavy storms
    for the gulf and the eastern coat in the next ten years.

How many times are we going to watch New Orleans, a city under sea level,
    being leveled by storms? How many more times are we going to cast blame
    on people who are not to blame?

My thoughts and prayers are with those who will be effected by the lastest
    storm but when is this country going to get serious and truly prepared for
    these disasters.

If you want a good example just look at Florida. Time and time again she is
    pummelled by category 3 to 5 storms and time and time again she rebuilds
    and becomes stronger.

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    some of your points are a little fuzzy in my mind. Not sure what your saying. I do also think its about time globalwarming etc be taken more seriously though. I agree with that.

ETC: I started this thread out of concern, not to debate

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    my father lives by tampa florida...(Parrish).,and....i use to also....every year..we always say..they're due!!....they have been SO lucky...[​IMG].on that coast for storms..they still get them..but..not like katrina...every year in hurricane season..when i see all the storms that form in the gulf..i get so scared for my family down there..but...[​IMG]...i really hope those people in Gustav's path will be okay...Wendy

7. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    hotels, shelters, rv parks are full here the parking lots are full of rvs and people who just are just trying to find a place to sleep they're being told to hand east to alabama and georgia , even memphis tn is full, i wish i had more rv hook ups so i could take more :|

8. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    An article I just read said that the cops were cruising through a deserted neighborhood checking to make sure that everyone had left. They said the only living thing was a black and brown rooster walking down the middle of the street. Is it bad that I was instantly really concerned about the chicken and not about the random people that decided to stay?

It bothers me that the rooster was left to fend for himself...

9. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I worry about the animals, humans can take care of themselves if they want to but animals left behind in pens and tied to poles can't.
    I've spent a lot of time Louisiana over the years and as much as I love the flavor of New Orleans I'd never live in a city built below sea level right on the ocean!
    I know it's hard to leave your home, I've done it, but I'd rather leave and live than keep rebuilding what should never have been built like that in the first place.

10. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:My point is simple. I'm just trying to be sensative about it and in no way want to see
    anyone hurt.

People don't belong there. The city should be leveled and not rebuilt.

If I step out in front of a bus who's fault is it??? Should the government pick up the
    tab for my medical bills???

If I build a house in a flood plain that gets flooded every 50 years and I get flooded
    who's fault is it?

All the science I know points towards a cooling in the Pacific and Antarctic and a
    warming in the Atlantic and Arctic. This is part of the earth's normal climate.

I live in CT. If I decide to build a house on the shorline the insurance alone is crazy,
    assuming I get it. Even though we only get 1 heavy storm every 20 years it is only a
    matter of time.

We are in hurrican season. This will happen over and over and over.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by