Gut before or after the cold water?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Anna_MN, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Anna_MN

Anna_MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    My family and I were having a discussion about the process of butchering. We are butchering for the first time on Friday. My brother and I say you should gut before you put them in the cold water, and my parents say gut after you cool down. So I figured I should ask my trusted friends on Backyard Chickens. So- do you gut them before the cold water bath or after?

2. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
  3. DanIndiana

DanIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    I like the cold water first also. I hate the feeling of sticking my hand in a warm cavity, plus it gets the whole cool down process going right away.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Hmmmm....it never even occurred to me to do the cold water first. The order I do it is:
    • Dunk in hot water to allow for easier plucking
    • Pluck
    • Eviscerate (with cold running water nearby, I can rinse/fill the cavity as I go, which helps to wash residual blood away while eviscerating)
    • Place in a stock pot of cold water in the fridge for a couple of days

5. x2

6. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Cold water first misses the point of cold water. It is to cool the carcass and avoid pathogens, getting them ready to put in the fridge to age 24 to 48 hours.

Cold water before plucking is a head scratcher. The point of the scald is to loosen the feathers. Why would you want to tighten them again before plucking?

I guess it would be okay to scald, pluck, cold water, eviscerate, then cold water again, but it isn't the direction I would go.

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH

X3 here :thumbsup

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Scald, pluck, gut, then ice/water.

9. bluere11e

bluere11e Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    West Palm Beach
    x3

10. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Just a comment. Not all that many years ago (1940's), poultry was sold plucked, period. You eviscerated it and removed the head and feet when you got it home. As for me, I gut them right after I pluck them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by