Guts or intestines hanging out of chick?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Crazyaboutchookies, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Crazyaboutchookies

Crazyaboutchookies Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2017
    I went out last night to check on my broody and oh dear, she got off her nest and took already hatched babies to a different location. I found one baby with the yolk sack still attached, cold almost dead and another pipped egg cold almost dead.

I got them straight into the incubator and looked here at what to do. I am assisting the egg to hatch gradually, but it’s the hatched chick that I am concerned about.

I left the yolk sac attached at first but it was getting tacky and sticking the chick to the incubator so I tied floss around to clamp it and cut it off. That worked well but I think I will have to euthanise as I think it had pulled its guts hanging out. What do people think? Are these the guts? What should I do? It is running around fine this morning looking best it has ever been

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Wickedchicken6 likes this.
  2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Herniated umbilical. You can try to get the innards back in, but you may not be able to get them back in before the opening starts to close up. Once that happens, circulation is cut off, intestines become necrotic and the chick will die.

3. Crazyaboutchookies

Sep 12, 2017
    How do I get them back in?

4. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Very gently try and push them back in. You've only got a short window of time before the umbilical completely closes, though. May be too late.

5. Crazyaboutchookies

Sep 12, 2017
    So I found a baby ear bud was able to push them back in!! Every time it chirps it looks like the guts might come out again.

Poor little thing? Anything I can do? It is looking good this morning but would it be in pain? Am I being cruel not euthanising?

Attached Files:

6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Oh that's great news that they went in! I've had a few that closed too quickly for me to even try and get them back in and had to euthanize. Fingers crossed it closes quickly now and the chick stays healthy.

Crazyaboutchookies likes this.
  7. staceyj

staceyj Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    My opinion:
    Clean the skin with a little bit of alcohol and use 1 scant drop of crazy glue (easiest method)
    or an ordinary sewing thread and needle (clean or sterilized in boiling water).
    One or two stitches at most will hold it closed.
    Remove stitch in a week.

8. Crazyaboutchookies

Sep 12, 2017
    Oh I hope so- it’s obviously got a tough constitution!!! I have made the room dark to encourage it to lie down and sleep

9. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    My Coop
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/herniated-chick-needs-help-graphic-photo.1209343/
    Read this thread. It might still have a chance if you follow the advice there. :fl

10. Crazyaboutchookies

Sep 12, 2017
    Thanks Staceyj, Junebuggena, and Bantychooks.

yes I could see guts popping out again with every chirp.

So I took your advice and read that other thread.

I had alcohol spray so I gave the wound a good spray. I pushed the intestine back in and was able to hold the skin closed and put a drop of super glue on it. I was very careful not to get any glue inside the body only on skin.

I did get glue on my hands and even my mouth yuck holding it, but the bird was avoided.

I made a bandaid like the other post said, but with the glue I didn’t have to use it.

I chose glue as the hole was so big that every time the bird cheeped the intestines popped out.

I was afraid that I would puncture the intestines with a needle if I tried to do a stitch and I was afraid the bandaid wouldn’t hold the intestines in with such a big hole and it would mean certain death for chicky babe.

I have put a towel over the incubator so it is dark and there chick will have a good rest now

So fingers crossed, I now wait!

Thank you for all your help guys!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by