gutted i didnt rescue this duck, feeling awful now

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Roxy1989, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Roxy1989

Roxy1989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    so yesterday i had to drive my cousin to a place that was 80 miles away, whilst i was there i went to the river to feed the ducks (i always do) and there was a new duck there, clearly been dumped [​IMG] a male pekin.clearly really bad eyesight!
    he wouldnt come out of the water at first but when he eventually did he was walking into everything and looked really scared until the other ducks got full up and quiet and back into the river.his eyes looked funny and he was turning really yellow (the photo doesnt show it) i felt really really bad for him and was desperate to bring him home, but had no box to put him in and didnt want to traumatise him with the long drive home (the traffic was mad and took twice as long as usual) also all the other ducks were attacking him and he was just jumping from one into another then getting pecked again so he'd try to run but bump into another that would then peck at him [​IMG]
    he was clearly starving hungry when he had the pile of grain infront of him he was going mad at it, never seen a duck eat so fast!
    so i tried to get close enough to get him but as soon as i nealy touched him he ran/stumbled down the bank and back into the river

[​IMG]

im really regretting it now and i feel so guilty, wish i'd tried harder.hate the thought of him down there not being able to see,getting hungry and lonely

[​IMG]

2. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    The poor boy [​IMG]

You did your best, given that you had no way to catch him or transport him. I know it's a long way, but can you go back this weekend with somebody and a net and a box to see if you can get him? Is that something you'd be wiling and able to do. If not, that's alright - you didn't dump him. But it really sounds like he needs help.

[​IMG] to people who'd dump a domestic bird like that....

3. fisharescary

fisharescary Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Where is this? Maybe somebody from byc lives nearby and has room for him. Or maybe there's a rescue in the area you could call.

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    If you have time and gas money soon, you can go back and try to get him. He may still be there. I know exactly how you feel. I used to keep a box in my car specifically for rescuing ducks. Now, I don't have it because i rescued some ducklings and need to get a new one. I plan to pick up one those cardboard carriers to keep in my trunk. But, even if I had one, those little buggers are hard to catch.

You should bring something to put water in, too, and take breaks to give some to him (don't put it in the box). When I caught the ducklings, someone put a piece of bread in with them for the car ride to the rehabber's. They absolutely loved the bread and made happy noises as I drove with them. When I got to the place, most of the bread was gone.

5. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

That white ducks is as small as the Mallards. It could be a throw back white mallard.

6. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    he is to small to be a full pekin

7. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    OH MY- I know how you feel and IF possible I would go back with assistance to net it,even if it is a "throwback" to a normal mallard. I generally carry a kennel for any cats I find(I do NOT keep them-just save them from cars,cold,humans,etc) Hes not cold(come on-hes a duck!) at least but the lack of domestic duck feed IF its actually a pekin is a huge concern. find another road trip buddy and make a day of it. IF actually vision impaired possibly from neglect or????. whatever-I personally would TRY to catch then investigate the problems and deal from there. GOOD LUCK.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I hope you'll be able to go back and get this poor duck, [​IMG] it's heart breaking to hear it was having so much trouble seeing.

9. LLCoyote

LLCoyote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Hey, at least it's only ONE duck at your park. I know that's awful to say but between our two parks around here (and it's a very small town) we probably have over 35 to 50 domestic ducks in our parks. Everything from blue sweds to large groups of white pekins. Everyone around here buys ducks at easter... so I know it sucks but you just can't save them all. But on the other hand (and I think someone has said this already) if you post the location maybe someone closer may see the post and go pick them up. Good luck, try not to tear yourself apart over it. We can't stop the stupid things people do.

10. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Aawww, this is totally breaking my heart [​IMG] I would have taken him home box or no box [​IMG] he is way to small to be a pure pekin. Maybe a call with a really long bill? Or a white mallard (there is a such thing.. Just really rare) where are you located roxy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by