1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gutter baby

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mabelball, Oct 27, 2014.

1. mabelball

mabelball New Egg

Oct 27, 2014
    Florida
    My serama hen hatched out one chick in the gutter of my house. She got the chick down safely but I'm worried about where she will nest down tonight. We live where there are a lot of preditors. Should I bring the chick in under a heat lamp and hope the hen roosts with the rest of the flock in the trees. All my bantams are free range and I don't have a coop. Thanks for any help

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you joined the flock. Is there any way you could bring them both in on night? Or a shed or somewhere you could keep them free of predators? A chick on its own would become very stressed also so would mum by being separated from its chick :frow

3. mabelball

mabelball New Egg

Oct 27, 2014
    Florida
    I'm not sure how I could catch her without being pecked full of holes. She is very fiesty right now. I thought of waiting till she bedded down and put something over her or I have a small fence I can put around her with a screen over the top. It's around 50 degrees at night so I hope the chick doesn't get too cold on the ground.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    She will be feisty because she is protecting her chick. Good idea though if you can put something round her when she has settled to protect them. The chick should be fine it will get under mum and she will keep it warm.

5. mabelball

mabelball New Egg

Oct 27, 2014
    Florida
    Thank you for putting my mind at ease. I have been worrying all day. Ithis is my first free range hatchling and I've been a nervous wreck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by