Gutters to Rainbarrel

Tootie23

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 24, 2011
Lakewood, Oh
Hello all!

Can anyone point to or post a picture of a gutter/rainbarrel system you've set up! I have been going a search, but am not finding alot of info/pics.

Thank you!

here's my two.
84811_img_1678.jpg
84811_img_1677.jpg

the second is on the side of the house with an 8' section of gutter. and the first is on the shop attached to the garage in the garden with about 12' of gutter.
Yea the tanks aren't your typical rain barrel but we live near the marsh and our well water contains too much salt to water plants with on a regular basis and one of these tanks was free. We sometimes still have to ration water to the garden and other plants during the summer. For the blood sucking buzzards (some of you call them mosquitoes) the openings are covered with knee high panty hose. Serves as a leaf litter trap also. I usually have to replace it about yearly. The tanks sit about 4' above ground and have a regular faucet in the lower opening in the tank so hose can be attached.

Huh. Me, I sit two buckets under the open hole in my run gutter (hole where downspout would attach but I am too lazy to install downspout). One bucket is raised a little higher than the other and sits at a slight slant so that when it overflows it fills the adjacent bucket.

I can get two 5 gal buckets of water out of even a pretty light rain this way, if a larger barrel ever came my way I would at least *think* about using it but honestly this fills my needs pretty well (2 doz chickens, half doz turkeys) except in times when it just isn't raining period.

Pat, clearly much lazier than others on this thread
tongue.png

here is my rainbarrel system that i set up last year. It works great when it's not freezing. I put it away in the winter. I just run a typical spigot out the bottom and fill the waterdishes as needed. The only problem I have is that the water can go stale and my girls are picky. lol

Does anyone know what I can add to the water to stop the 'yickyies' without huritng my birds?

58585_9132010_034.jpg

Back
Top Bottom