Guy stopped and wanted to buy my chickens...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mychookschick, Oct 5, 2011.

1. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    One day, last week my family and I went to get some groceries. When we got back, there was a paper bag in our driveway, and my Dad figured that it was someone garbage that was thrown out (we live on a fairly busy road). I went to get the horses grain ready, and my little brother came running up to me and said " Someone is offering to buy all of your chickens!" of course my reaction was "No way, there isn't even anyone here..." So, I came out of the grain area and my Dad was reading a note off from the bag, which was someone who wanted to buy my hens. They left their name and number and asked me to call the next day. [​IMG] I thought that it was a joke!

Well, the next morning when I was getting ready to go to church, a beat-up truck pulls into the driveway. A guy gets out and starts asking my about my BO's and what I wanted for them... I was thinking in my head, "Whoa, slow down buddy!" Anyways, I ended up throwing out a ridiculously high price for a few year and a half old hens and some rooster chicks that I hatched and he wanted them! He was going to pay $10 for the hens and $5 for BABY roosters (around here that is a pretty steep price)!

He never ended up coming to get them, but I just thought that it was weird that he was just driving down the road, and decided that he wanted MY chickens. I never would think to just stop and ask any random person if I could buy their animals!

[​IMG] My life is always finding some new way to surprise me!

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    That is very strange. I guess people will do most anything, though! I'm glad you gave him a high price, though!

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

A chicken is also easy to steal. Hate to suggest it, but chicken rustling is not unheard of. Hope you have a neighbor willing to keep an eye out, when you're gone.

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Being the eternal pessimist when it comes to trusting strangers, I would caution you to keep a close eye on things around your homestead. I know, he gave you his phone number...disposable phones are a dime a dozen...

5. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    I agree, be very careful. Maybe stop by at the police station and explain what happened. My cops are usually grateful for learning what is going on. There may be a guy stealing chickens that you aren't aware of but the cops are.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In instances like that, I might suggest writing down license plate numbers.

7. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought this sounded creepy...

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:x2

9. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    x3. These are hard times, and just getting worse. People will do anything to feed their families.

10. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    i agree seems strange better keep an eye out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by