Guys, do Buff Cochins have dark spots on their feathers?? (Pics added)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cjeanean, Apr 17, 2008.

1. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I've been posting like crazy, I know, sorry everyone....but I have a litte fuzzy footed chick that I was sure was a buff cochin, but now I'm kinda wondering. Are they supposed to have really poofy cheeks and light and dark wing feathers???

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Poofy cheeks no, dark wing feathers as a chick can grow out, or black markingas on a buff as an adult can be just poor coloring. My guess is you have some other type of chick.

3. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    It wouldn't happen to have 5 toes on those fuzzy feet?? Cause if it does I bet you have a salmon faverolle. They have fuzzy legs, a beard, and are a buff colour when chicks.

4. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:How the heck did you guess?!?!?!?! I just went in there to look at her and see, and yes, she has an extra toe!!!!!

5. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Here's a few pics of her....couldn't get one of just her face, but you can definately see her poofy cheeks!!!! Thanks, everyone!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    How the heck did you guess?!?!?!?! I just went in there to look at her and see, and yes, she has an extra toe!!!!!

[​IMG] I had a cute yellow, fuzzy legged, puffy cheeked, 5 toed monster myself once.
    [​IMG]

If that black doesn't get too much more in the wings and if the shoulder feathers come in buff it means you have a hen.

Anna​

7. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I do believe you have a faverolle.

8. bantyman

bantyman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Blue Ridge GA
    Faverolles One of the sweetest most docile gentle creatures you will ever find And they lat good also when they arent on strike

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I was going to mention that Cochins do not have muffs.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by