Guys... HELP. Chickens are roosting early - in trees - in rafters of barn.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by boochaces, Sep 11, 2012.

1. boochaces

boochaces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2012
    Hi guys.
    Lately I have been grabbing each chicken and putting her in the coop before sunset because they are all roosting in trees and in the rafters of the barn. I do not know what to do. Is this a bad thing? Should I just enclose the barn? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. boochaces

Jun 20, 2012
    ??? Anything

3. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    Id try keeping them in the coop for one or two days if possible.......just so they know that the coop is a good, safe place to come home to.

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Need to teach them that the coop is home. Close them in for a few days to re imprint the coop as home.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I am not so much against barns for roosting chickens. It used to be optimal situation for birds on a walk.

Tell us about barn. If you were an owl, how would you get in? Where the birds actually roost, can some like a fox jump that high? If too high for a fox to jump up to, then can a raccoon or oppossum climb up without going upside down? Do see a problem with droppings collecting below roost such as it might ruin something?

6. boochaces

Jun 20, 2012
    the barn that they chose is more like a huge lean-to with 4 stalls. the rafters are high - but i feel like it would not take much for a raccoon to climb on up. the coop is now in one of the stalls. i added more perches today and removed the food and water to keep outside. maybe this will help. the extra roosting spots in coop.

7. Sallysec

Sallysec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2012
    New York
    Could it be that something bothered them in their coop? Or the change in weather?

8. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My birds roosting on rafters are generally safe from raccoons. If you keep a live trap out continously or have a dog, then birds will be quite safe. Show picture of how varmints might climb up. You may be able to obstruct their access. Take advantage of the birds flying ability.

9. SweetSilver

SweetSilver Chillin' With My Peeps

As long as there are higher places they feel comfortable in, a few will probably try to roost there. Yes, try shutting them in the coop for a few days, afterwards trying to herd them into the coop before they feel like turning in for the night (increasingly difficult for working folks with autumn and winter coming). In the mean time, I hope you've given them as high a roost as possible for the space. That will encourage them.

10. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Guys, the coop business is getting over rated. With a single flock where birds are not to be kept separated or otherwise isolated, coops used if you do not have the preferred barn with free ranging flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by