guys I need urgent help plz guide asap

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jamalkhan, Jan 3, 2014.

1. jamalkhan

jamalkhan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2013
    Im in lockdown situation for the last two days and none of the eggs have pipped externally as in the morning I candled my bantam eggs they were internally pipped now should I assist them and break the outer shell now or wait ? My humidity in bator is 65-66% temp is 99.5-100 what to do im really freaking out

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've had a chick wait 18 hours to progress from internal to external pip once and it hatched out fine and unassisted. Sit on your hands!

3. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    X2 give it time. Day 2 of lockdown is still early, that would only put you on day 20. Is that correct?

Im currently hatching and I am on day 23 today, one chick just hatched this morn and one more has pipped. It takes time and patience.

4. jamalkhan

Sep 4, 2013
    The problem is that one lot of eggs are on day 20 and other are just entering lockdown now to turn the other eggs till today I had to open the bator lid so wondering that would it harm my eggs that are alerady in lockdown on day 20 ?

5. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    Are your other eggs on day 18? And are you doing a staggered hatch in one incubator? If so Id stop turning now and leave the lid shut and let them hatch. If you have no external pips then the opening of the lid that you have already done wont cause an issue. Once external pips start the lid NEEDS to stay closed to keep the humidity up otherwise you risk shrink wrapping the chicks.

1 person likes this.
  6. jamalkhan

Sep 4, 2013
    One of my eggs which are on day 21 in lockdown had cracked the shell since morning but hadnt made any further progress will he be ok ?

7. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    It can take up to 24 or more hours from the first pip to zip to hatch. Pipping is the first crack in the egg shell, zipping is when the chick will make cracks in a line all the way around the top of the egg so it can pop off the top of the egg and hatch. It takes time and lots of energy from the chick so he will rest often. It will make its out on its own just give it more time. And sit on your hands lol no touching the eggs.

8. jamalkhan

Sep 4, 2013
    Well u know I had two hatches before this one in those I didnt worried a single thing and my chicks arrived on day 18 to 20 but now this time I had made some bloopers as my bator temp was somewhat misled me and again and again I opened the lid in lockdown so just little nervous this time :)

9. jamalkhan

Sep 4, 2013
    Well thank u chicken pippin for support all the way

10. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    How is it going? Any thing hatch yet?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by