Gweek

Gweek

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 11, 2013
I got 3 chickens and ended up with 2 roosters. Can 2 roosters be together? Someone told me they would fight!

Two roosters (or even more) can often be kept together without fighting, especially if they've been raised together. As long as they have enough space, they should be fine together. However, if your third bird is a hen, you'll need to keep the two roosters seperated from her, or she'll get torn up by overmating. Ideally, each rooster should have at least eight hens. Otherwise, hens will get overmated, and the roosters will fight more.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad to have you join us! Roosters don't always fight with each other, but be prepared just in case they do. You will also need to add more hens to your flock if you want to keep both boys. Your hen will get really tore up otherwise. Some people say to have 10 hens for every rooster, but I have found that if they roosters aren't aggressive with each other or the hens, that you can get away with having just 3 hens per rooster.

Good luck!

-Ashley

My husband didn't want 1 rooster let alone 2. I appreciate everyone's welcome and advice. I ended up adding 1silkie hen and 2 one month old silkies. My one rooster was very friendly and sat on my arm clucking. I will miss him very much!

welcome-byc.gif
Some people eat their extra roosters, others keep them in a bachelor pad out of sight of hens. That way the males will usually get along without jealousy.

Back
Top Bottom