Gweek

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gweek, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Gweek

Gweek New Egg

Nov 11, 2013
    I got 3 chickens and ended up with 2 roosters. Can 2 roosters be together? Someone told me they would fight!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Two roosters (or even more) can often be kept together without fighting, especially if they've been raised together. As long as they have enough space, they should be fine together. However, if your third bird is a hen, you'll need to keep the two roosters seperated from her, or she'll get torn up by overmating. Ideally, each rooster should have at least eight hens. Otherwise, hens will get overmated, and the roosters will fight more.

3. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    [​IMG] Glad to have you join us! Roosters don't always fight with each other, but be prepared just in case they do. You will also need to add more hens to your flock if you want to keep both boys. Your hen will get really tore up otherwise. Some people say to have 10 hens for every rooster, but I have found that if they roosters aren't aggressive with each other or the hens, that you can get away with having just 3 hens per rooster.

Good luck!

-Ashley

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

6. Gweek

Gweek New Egg

Nov 11, 2013
    My husband didn't want 1 rooster let alone 2. I appreciate everyone's welcome and advice. I ended up adding 1silkie hen and 2 one month old silkies. My one rooster was very friendly and sat on my arm clucking. I will miss him very much!

7. Teri Metcalf

Teri Metcalf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    College Station, Texas
    Greetings from Texas! It's too bad that it's not easy to keep more than one rooster.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Some people eat their extra roosters, others keep them in a bachelor pad out of sight of hens. That way the males will usually get along without jealousy.

9. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy BYC!
    Steve :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by