Gypsy Vanner Horse Owners I need your knowledge

Egg_newton

Songster
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
East Central Indiana
I am currently in no position to get one but would like to someday. I can't find a whole lot of info on these guys and would like some input. I think they are absolutely beautiful and think one would be a great addition to a farm as a work/riding horse. I was thinking they are not as fragile as other breeds because they are heavier boned. Or if someone has an opinion on a equally magnificent looking breed that would be a great work/ riding horse.
34758_gypsy_vanner.jpg

They are gorgeous, aren't they?

I don't own one, but I'm sure the breed assoc. has some info and probably a database of breeders divided by region or state. Good luck!
smile.png

I would love to own one as they seem to be the perfect size (height wise) and they have that big boned body. My problem would be the feathers! I don't know how int he world owners keep them clean!

I also ran across spotted drafts, which look similar to gypsy vanners, but are a little larger than the vanners. I've also seen them called "Drum horses". They tend to be a little cheaper than gypsy vanners though, but look almost the same.

Quote:
OMG! You can't even tell the Drum horse from the Vanner. Except I think the Drum is a little bigger. Vanners are usually 14 hands where as the Drum is more like 16. The Drum is part Vanner from my brief reading according to standard they are Shire, Clydesdale, and Gypsy Horse, where no single breed listed above exceeds 87% (7/8) of the total make-up and the percentage of Gypsy Horse blood does not fall below 12.5% (1/8) Must do more research on the Drum horse. TY

Quote:
You could just adopt a big boned pinto Mustang for $125...there's hundreds, maybe thousands of them in holding pens across the US!

That is my dream horse and hope to own one someday.

the Drum Horse is made by crossing draft (usually Shires) to a Gypsy Vanner (one on the larger side) ex. The Lion King, He was a beautiful Black and White (Shire size) Stallion used to create Drum Horses.

Colorado River Gypsy Horses (formally know as Black Forest Shires and Gypsy Horses) I started following these guys when they only had Shires. They started importing Gypsy Vanners and that is when I fell in love with the Breed. They dont import anymore (dont know what happened but the man and son are now on their own). They still sell but dont have nearly has many.

I prefer mine on the smaller side but that is me. They are beautiful and I bet you wouldnt regret getting one.

Quote:
drums,gypsys and spotted drafts are all different breeds..each has their own registry..drums are part gypsy,..also they are just called gypsys,,vanner is a trade name one guy stuck on his line and everyone started calling them all that.

Quote:
You could just adopt a big boned pinto Mustang for $125...there's hundreds, maybe thousands of them in holding pens across the US!

That is how I got my Mustang, but she wants to be a momma so bad. She adopted my mini stallion and even started producing milk for him, took me forever to wean him.. LOL

Back
Top Bottom