H everyone, new chicks and new to site

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by smcdermott, Dec 9, 2014.

1. smcdermott

smcdermott Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    Hi Everyone!!

I l[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I literally just brought home my first 2 silkie chicks EVER. I am so excited I could just burst.
    I have been researching and reading (trying to convince hubby) for 2 years. Jumped in with 2 feet today. Now I am so nervous. Are they warm enough, are they sick or just sleeping, (kids stay away, you will stress them out). Haha One is 2 weeks and 1 is 1 week. In my mind I was rescuing them from the strange place I got them from and am really wishing I could bathe them, kind of like giving them a fresh start. Sorry that is my mothering coming out. Anywho I can’t wait to visit with everyone and ask some questions.

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Congratulations on the new chicks. It's always so exciting getting new chicks; especially the first ones. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chicks.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck with the chicks!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Oh what cuties you have. You could bathe if necessary (matted up with poo & very stinky)if you did it fast, gently and followed with a hair dryer. Then wrap in a towel till it builds it's body heat back up

My friend got a frizzle hen from a chicken big shot in Minnesota years ago, it was so covered in poo and stunk to high heaven. She had to bathe it a few times (over a week) to finally get the stench out. She has had chickens for many years and never one that in such horrible shape.

5. ChickenLady2014

ChickenLady2014 Feathered Frenzy

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    Aww they are so sweet, I want some silkies so bad. I've got some in the incubator at the moment, but not holding my breath with them due to a shipping nightmare. Welcome to BYC, there are so many things you can learn about on here.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Welcome to the flock and to BYC!!!

SILKIES[​IMG]
    OMG!! I just love my SILKIES[​IMG] I now have 4. Mainly because I was wanting a female.[​IMG] but it didn't turn out that way. They're all roosters. But I love them all anyway.[​IMG] Gideon, one of my youngest, stated crowing at 2 1/2 months. He's hatchery stock so his comb came in real early too. But when he first crowed, it sounded like a rusty hinge.[​IMG] my older boys were crowing and he could not be out done!

sorry, enough about me....This is all about you!!![​IMG]

so glad to have another silkie lover on BYC!!!

So have you thought of names yet? Or are you going to wait and see what sex they are first? I think that's part of the fun...He?....or...she?. No..he?..maybe?...she?

Hope you have as much fun as the rest of us silkie owners.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Congrats on your babies! They are very cute. As a fellow silkie owner, I know why you fell for them ;)

9. smcdermott

smcdermott Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    Thanks so much everyone. So great to see everyone's comments after a long night of nightmares that my house was going to burn down because of the heat lamp. Hahaha thanks again everyone.
    I only wanted girls. Last night before bed my husband asked me if the lady was able to tell for sure and I got those "deer in the headlights" look. I was so excited picking the colors I wanted, I TOTALLY FORGOT. I am not normally that forgetful and have been consumed with research for 2 years. How could I forget that. Haha Feeling like a total dork.

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by