h1n1 q & a

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Boyd, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/10/06/h1n1.vaccine.questions/index.html

here's
    an interesting article. According to this the only poeple mandated to have this are us military. I guess that's similiar to those of the military that had to have the anthrax vaccine. Wanted to pass this along. I no longer need the vaccine [​IMG]

I will probably give my kids the option of getting it. I doubt my wife will need it since she caught it from me early on. We took turns being sick, I was stuck in isolation in the bedroom for a week, her for 4 days.

2. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Thanks for sharing that. I'll be passing it on too.

3. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Ah, Boyd. Always a wealth of information and resources... Thanks for the info!!!!

I will be taking the vaccine, being that I work in a hospital. But I do not want the FluMist. I want the shot.

On a side note, our ER is taking precautions already. Any individual reporting to the ER has to wear an earloop surgical mask until they get to their room. Does not matter what they present for, flu symptoms or not. Same goes for any visitor.
    Staff members who are treating patients must wear an N95 mask or equivalent, as well as a complete face sheild or displosable eye goggles. So far these precautions are mandated in the ER only...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  4. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I think I will go with the mist as it is a live virus.. just weakened and therefore doesn't need the thimerasol or other perservatives.

I don't vaccinate my children. My hubby and I did a ton of research and questioned many-o-doctor and arrived at this decision, but I have a 1 mo. old new baby so that changes the game. This virus is, supposedly, harder on the young so my 3 yr. old, my husband and I will all get this one to help protect the baby.

Did anyone see the Glenn Beck show on this the other night? It was very informative. Im not totally anti-vaccine... just totally not mandatory vaccine.

5. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    I did, and i think any vaccine should be by choice. I know there are states that are trying to mandate it, but it wont happen. There is no way to enforce it, too many amendments that would be violated if they tried to!

6. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    I work in a hospital and we are highly encouraged to get it but not mandated.

I am going to get the vaccine and I will get my kids vaccinated too.

The nasal vaccine has in the past illicited a better immune response in children but the OPPOSITE is true in adults(injectable is better).

Also, if you want to avoid the thimerisol(which I personally don't think is an issue) the nasal vaccine as well as the single dose vials of vaccine do not have it.
    It's only the multidose vials that have the thimerisol as a preservative. You would have to ask the clinic what they have.

7. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Everyone says, "you're getting the same amount of mercury that you would consume from a can of tuna" ... everyone says EXACTLY the same thing.. like they read it in a CDC brochure [​IMG]

The issue is that when it is "consumed" (ingested) , it is passed through your digestive tract and metabolized in a totally different way than when it is INJECTED into your bloodstream. It is processed much slower by your body and, in fact, accumulates in your brain tissue.... neuro toxin in the brain... hmmm ? probably not so good. And it gets worse when you get multiple shots back to back like babies getting all those rounds of immunizations the first years of life... this is where I have the problem.

That's why we prefer to have the dose without the neuro toxin... but that's just me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by