H1N1 (swine flu) has hit our family....

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by SarahFair, Sep 4, 2009.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Well this weekend our family had a birthday party for my son here at the house. 5 days later I checked my son out of school and took him for his annual check up. They say
    'oh hes got a fever' well as the exam went on his nose started running and I said 'here comes the runny nose'
    Well they didnt give him shots because his fever was high but did give him some medication (tylenol or something along those lines). They told me to keep him out of school till the fevers gone and if its still around by monday to bring him back in.

Well last night on FB I found out that a family member who attended the party has swine flu. Shes 4, almost 5.
    They were ALL sharing blow up balloons taking turns blowing on them [​IMG]

Ive notified the parents of the other children at the party and have gotten word that a few of them are sick.

Im not sure what my son has is H1N1 (the swine flu) but I do know now he is super sick.

Im worried for my almost 2 year old son. My children are on medicaid and for some reason they took my youngest son off. I called MONTHS ago and had him put back on. They said 'oh yes hes back on it' everything is fine. Well I called this past week. Oh no your son hasnt been on this account for almost a year and hes marked as a female. I told that lady I fixed that female problem 3 month after he was born AND I had him put back on the policy. She told me to call my case worker. Well the case worker told me I would have to fill out ANOTHER application and then wait 45 days. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I dont see why! They have ALL my sons info they have ALL my income information..
    Im bout to call them up today and chew them up and down. [​IMG]

2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    I surely hope none of you actually have the swine flu. I also hope you get your Medicaid issue resolved - good luck, you're gonna need it! [​IMG] I found out Wednesday that my brother's oldest daughter has the swine flu - she got it at school. [​IMG]

3. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I want to call his school because he was there for a few days. But I dont want to start a scare. I guess I should just wait it out to really see if it is? [​IMG]

4. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    That's what my brother's dr recommended...to what until they got a definate diagnosis. When they got the positive results, then the dr advised them to call the school. When they called the school, the school told them they don't want her back at school for a full 7 days. The dr gave them ALL Tamiflu to take even though they weren't showing signs of the swine flu - it was just as a preventative.

The pitiful thing the dr told them is that they actually have the swine flu vaccine, but can't administer it because the FDA still has to make their "guidelines/instructions paperwork" to go with the vaccine. So, they have a drug that could help my neice much quicker than Tamiflu, but can't give it to her. [​IMG]

5. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    Quote:I think I would rather be safe than sorry. I would inform the school
    that your child was exposed to someone with the swine flu and he is indeed sick, but you do not know if he definately has it. Explain the situation. I'm sure you are glad that you were informed and the parents you called to inform are grateful that you did too.

I would then call the doctor and inform them of your recent visit and that all of you were exposed to someone with the swine flu.

Now sanitize...sanitize...sanitize and stay at home. [​IMG]

6. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Ol'FashionHen :

Quote:I think I would rather be safe than sorry. I would inform the school
    that your child was exposed to someone with the swine flu and he is indeed sick, but you do not know if he definately has it. Explain the situation. I'm sure you are glad that you were informed and the parents you called to inform are grateful that you did too.

I would then call the doctor and inform them of your recent visit and that all of you were exposed to someone with the swine flu.

Now sanitize...sanitize...sanitize and stay at home. [​IMG]

Ohh goodness. I cleaned all yesterday. I feel like I should banish my son to the back bedroom. I feel like Im coming down with it. I feel something in my throat and all yesterday my head was hurting where where the neck meets the skull. Maybe that has been why Ive been SO tired.​

7. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I got a letter yesterday, stating that there was a case of Swine Flu in one of our schools, but would not tell us which one.

I would call the school and let them know.

In Oklahoma, if you take your child to the Emergency Room, and are in the process of filing for Soonercare/Medicaid, the state will back it up to the first of the month. I don't know how that works in other states though.

My case worker is really good and she stays on top of all of her cases.

I hope you get it straightened out, and I sure hope your babies do not have swine flu.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2009
  8. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Sarah, love and [​IMG]. hope all is well. praying for you so you don't have lots of stress and that your family is well.

9. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Thanks yall for the wishes.

I think that medicaid here will cover up to 3 months of backed bills but I dont EVEN want to get into that with them if it can be avoided.

10. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so sorry that you and those you love are going through this! It cannot be easy to deal with, let alone the insurance issues. Grrr.

Now this is absolutely not even near what your dealing with, but my brother and his eldest son has Influenza A, brother ended up with the pnueamonia. The 3 of us females did not contract it even living in close quarters and taking care of them.
    Nephew(16) would eat 2 slices of an orange, a small container of juice at a time, jello, and 3 peanutbutter crackers. My brother (38)refused all food, didn't taste good, drinking was out for him too (refused).
    I feel that my nephews quicker recovery was the frequent eating or drinking, my brothers complications due to not taking anything in.
    Also, as terrible as it is, we washed our hands, no kisses and covered furniture with sheets that they used. Also a tad bit of bleach in the water with frequent wipes of the remote, phones and door handles.
    Sounds extreme, but you have to be almost paranoid to avoid these terrible virus'.

Good luck to you, keep us posted on how your doing and please, please take care of yourself, those tykes need you most! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by