Ha ha! Finally an egg to hatch!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by skunknchatter, Feb 27, 2012.

1. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    My hens are finally laying again. I got one egg today and yes I fired up my incubator. I'll let it run for a day or so and hopefully get another egg or two. I'm so anxious to use my home built bator that I will incubate this one egg if I don't get any more in the next couple of days. It's a mutt egg. Brown leghorn hen, BO rooster.

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Oooooh! Very pretty combo , brown leghorn x bo. Eggs can hold for a week to 10 days so you can collect a few more and get that incubator fired up and steady. Just keep the eggs in a cool area that is moist. Ideally 45-50 degrees and75% humdidity. AND TURN THEM 2-3 times a day. I storm mine in paper pulp cartons in my basement. People in Fl use the refrigerator. I checked my 'fridge and found the warmest spot is on the bottom shelf. I stuck in the thermomter/hydrometer !

So ho many eggs do you think you can collect in 10 days? A chick needs company . . . .

3. skunknchatter

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    The number of eggs will depend on my stubborn hens. They have been so random with the eggs this winter. I'm hoping to get one from one of my EE hens. They have been laying off and on so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Problem is the coolest place I have (that isn't below 40 degrees) is my 64 degree cellar. Should I put them in the warmest corner of my fridge? Also humidity might be a problem. It's pretty freaking dry here. I'm putting my therm/hydrom in the fridge now.

Bator has been running 5 hours and is holding steady at 99-100 degrees with 45-50% humidity. Water wiggler temp is 97 degrees and climbing. Come on hens.... lay me some eggies!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  4. skunknchatter

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    I finally got a second egg today. It's a brown one so it could be from any one of 3 different breeds of hen. Sussex, Dominique, and some other egg layer. All I know is it's something x BO. I got my first egg Monday and I've been keeping it in my cellar which is 63 degrees. It's the best spot I could find. But I don't want to have to store the eggs for very long at that temp so I will set these two eggs tomorrow night even if I don't get another egg tomorrow.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by