HA HA... Look what I found in the nest box this morning

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BeardedLadyFarm, Nov 8, 2009.

1. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    [​IMG]

I let the girls out this morning, and thought the flock looked a bit small, so I took a peek in the coop, and here's what I found. On the one hand I'm happy the Blue Wyandotte is considering laying in the coop instead of under a shrub, but on the other, I'm not sure my Buff Orpington is that comfy... There was an empty box, just inches away from this one.

(sorry if the pic is rotated. It won't upload in the correct orientation after 10 attempts!)

2. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL! Very cute! Who knows why they all want to use the same nest box? Is this known as piggy-backing on your sister's egg laying? Maybe trying to take the credit?

Here's a hint on changing the orientation of the picture: Go into your computer where it is stored and rotate it to the correct position BEFORE uploading. Just give it a different file name so you can find it easily.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  3. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    I had the same thing happen to me yesterday. 3 of my slikie hens were crammed into the little nesting box!! It was the funniest thing I have seen in a long while. If I knew how to get pics on here i'd try and post a couple pics.[​IMG]

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Great photo. They are so competitive- we have 6 nest boxes for 12 hens and they all want the same one or two each day.
    Here is a broody trying to get another hen to leave so she can hog the eggs.

[​IMG]

5. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    LOL!

TOO funny!

6. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    That is so cute! I have been having the SAME thing! We have one nosy hen, Mrs. Olson, who has to be in everyone's business, and gets in a nest box with anyone trying to lay an egg! [​IMG]

7. HippieChickens

HippieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  8. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    [​IMG]

9. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Yep, just my ladies in the water trough. I don't know how many total nest boxes there are around but all them HAVE to lay in the trough and they stand there and complain because only 4 ladies can sit side by side in there and the others have to wait in line.

10. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    Same with my hens! Four nesting boxes, they only use 2. I have seen 3 hens crammed into 1 box while the other 3 sit empty. Go figure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by