Ha ha, silly pet store guy!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Josie, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I went into Petsmart and asked where the hygrometers were.
    The guy politely told me that they hadn't got any in yet, but they had a nice chameleon.
    (because everyone knows that a "hygrometer" is a type of lizard! [​IMG] )

It made me laugh, but I went to admire the lizards anyway, he was nice and I didn't want to make him feel bad.

Does anyone else have a story like this?

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Yeah. Mine is from walmart. I asked the lady where they where and she said they dont have any. I said they have a temperature/humidity reading on it. She said "nope we dont have none". Even the guy in housewares said they dont. So I went in the houseware isle and long and behold. I said this is a hygrometer. You should have seen the look on there face

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2008
  3. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Hygrometer would be a cool name for a lizard. Ha ha.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Perhaps he thought you meant MONITER lizard? LOL, that is a cute story though. I can't go into petsmart because I always end up wanted to bring something else home.

5. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Josie,

Do we have the same Petsmart? lol. They are all dumb there, and the people at our Petco too. Humm...I dont know if I have any of those, but I did used to work at a petstore and got some weird stuff. One lady was trying to tell everyone info about snakes and got it all wrong. Its pretty frustrating to have to correct the person who got the info because it confuses them even more!

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I know how that is Jordan!

My boss thinks he knows everything...
    Like dump the water into the aspen bedding because the snakes need the humidity...they all died from aspergillosis, which he never heard of so it didn't exist.

A betta can live for 15 years...maybe 5 if you're lucky

Your bird died because you had it so that it could get hot and cold...huh?

And I work at a Petco...jes sayin

7. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Quote:Hey Brenda,

I know you work at Petco, its ours that sucks,lol. I totally understand though. Luckily for me, the petstore I worked at was awesome. Everyone was pretty smart, and if they werent, we corrected them! There was one guy that worked there before I did, he was actually the guy that got my first snake out of the tank for me, and he said that all of the Cornsnakes in the tank were wildcaught and he was the first person to hold them! Not only does that put you off because you dont want a WC animal, but it was total bull pucky! You dont find Snows, Amels and Anerys in the wild,lol. You might find Amels, but very rarely. But come on, Im not that dumb. Then he encouraged me to flick them in the head so they'd bite me, that way they would learn not to bite me as adults. I must say, I've never flicked Chester, and she only bit me once in the 2+ years I've had her!

8. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    Quote:Hey Brenda,

. Then he encouraged me to flick them in the head so they'd bite me, that way they would learn not to bite me as adults. I must say, I've never flicked Chester, and she only bit me once in the 2+ years I've had her!

Do you know why you should not use physical punishment on birds or reptiles? It doesn't work! They can learn to avoid something that causes pain, but they don't connect punishment with their actions. And the reason it works on mammals and not birds, herps an reps is this: Think about it: What does a dog, cat, horse, etc do to it's young if they nip too hard when playing? They nip them back or bat them with a paw/hoof. And what does a chicken or snake do? Nothing! It is not in their brain patterns to respond to it. They cannot understand it and will be more likely to bite back, rather than understand that they did something you don't want them to.

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Whats really said is how many people BELIEVE the stuff coming out of their mouths....

10. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    What do you expect from a minimum wage employee? If they really knew the products/species/whatever they wouldn't be working at petsmart/walmart. Now if you had asked for a humidity guage instead of a hygrometer they probably would have known right off the bat what you were talking about.

Being a former retail sales "associate" I know both sides of the "stupidity" train. Like shoppers asking for "coasters". So you send them to houswares where the "coasters" are and they come back saying there are no "coasters" over there. So you walk them across the whole dang store right to the aisle and shelf where you said they were, point right at them and say, coasters. Then the shopper says, "No I mean those things with wheels on them".. Yeah, that would be a CASTER not a COASTER. Or one of my favorites, when a middle aged woman came in to the hardware store I worked at, and asked me for a "Good long screw". Another fun job was being a register monkey (cashier) at a gas station. Yep, getting yelled at because of gas prices was real fun, wondering if you'll be robbed that night, or the once a week cleaning bathrooms that people fingerpainted with poo was such a joy.

I guess my point is this, everybody has to start somewhere and most likely these "dumb" people are just starting out working an entry level job. Remember how "dumb" you were at your first job?

Anybody who is an expert or even remotely knowledgeable isn't wasting their life away at an entry level job.

ok, rant off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by