HA! I caught her in the act.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LoneCowboy, Nov 16, 2007.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Yep, I found out which one of my girls is laying eggs. It's one of my Red Stars. I thought it was the Black Star, cuz they are supposed to start early, but it's not. I have 4 more Red Stars, and I wish they would follow her example. [​IMG]

Funny thing though. I have 4 nesting boxes, and I only had 3 golf balls. So I put the balls in the first 3 nests. Well, she's been laying for 5 days now, so I figured she knew where to lay her eggs, so I moved the ball to the nest that didn't have one. Guess what! She moved to the nest with the ball in it. I kinda thought they picked a box and stuck with it.

I found another golf ball in the gutter by the golf course today, so I stopped and picked it up. Now they all have balls in them. After they are all laying for awhile, can I take the balls out?

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Congrat's on figuring out who's laying! [​IMG]

I left the golf balls in the nests until one of our Mottled Cochins went broody on us just recently. I keep eggs collected several times a day. Since I removed the eggs from under her, she decided she'd just go ahead and hatch the golf ball.[​IMG] So, I moved her to Chicken Jail and promptly removed the balls from all the nests.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

3. Jemjoop

Jemjoop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2007
    Caledonia, IL
    I just learned something on another thread that might help with advice. Just before they start laying their comb and wattles will fill out and get much brighter. Also you can check their vents for roundness.

I suspected it was Stella laying because when I discovered the first egg, she ran over to it like Look What I Did! But then today after the 3rd egg I went out to compare their appearance and sure enough her comb and wattle are very full and bright cherry red and the others are still more dull.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  4. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    Cracker Barrel has ceramic eggs that can be purchased singly. I bought 2 with future plans of using them in nest boxes.

5. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I have several who's combs and waddles have changed. WHY AREN'T THEY LAYING???

Sorry, I'm not the most patient person. [​IMG]

Guess it's time for another egg talk with the girls. [​IMG]

6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Patience is hard but, they will lay. [​IMG]

7. Jemjoop

Oct 18, 2007
    Caledonia, IL
    Really? I can see your frustration. Hopefully soon.

The blackxlinks are ready to go at 20 weeks but the buff orps are still wandering around like their still chicks with pale combs. They might even wait until Spring for longer days.

I have a perfectly good nest box with lovely straw and three enticing golf balls and yet Stella kicks up shavings into a corner on the floor and lays her egg there.

Guess they just do their own thing. I was just wondering if it was too soon and I should stop with the laying feed and oyster shell and then the next day- egg.

8. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    What is funny, is I'm so eggcited for that egg everyday, I know eggactly what time it should be laid. Now I can't wait until I get 2 a day then 3... This is just a vicious cycle. [​IMG] But I love it [​IMG]

9. Jemjoop

Oct 18, 2007
    Caledonia, IL
    I just searched Red Star and saw that speckled hen says some breeds are laying way late this year.

Is yours laying at the same time every day? Mine seems to be going earlier and earlier.

It is eggciting!

10. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Actually, their cycle is 25 hours, so they lay 1 hour later everyday. When they get into the later part of the day, they skip a day and start in the morning again. So far my 1 little layer has had perfect timing and consistency. Some times they'll lay kind sporadically when they first start, but not her. She's been totally predictable. I have 4 other red stars, and one Black Star and the Black Stars are supposed to start earlier than the others. Oh well, I guess it all depends on their bodies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by