HA! New puppy trouble already!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Jan 4, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    When we went to pick out the new puppy we took along a sheepskin toy bear that I intended to rub all over the new pup and bring home for Jax to smell, so he could get used to the pup's scent. I ended up giving the bear to Jax's sire instead (he's irresistable and I couldn't help myself).
    So, when we got home I took the sweater I wore to the breeders and let Jax get a good whiff of it instead. Then I put the sweater in the new pup's crate, next to Jax's. It's been there every since.
    Last night, Jax brought the sweater in the living room. I thought I must have left the crate door open by mistake, so I took the sweater away from him and put it back in the crate.
    The third time Jax brought the sweater out, I returned it to the crate and watched.
    It was no accident and no mistake. Jax knows how to open the crate door - from the outside only, thank goodness.
    Now on the shopping list for new puppy supplies, a lock for the crate. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  2. mylittlezoo

mylittlezoo Poppy Creek Farm

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    I have the exact same problem with my GSD. He unlocks the other dogs' crates and lets them out. Crazy smart, aren't they? [​IMG]

3. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    I had a AmStaff (only one, fortunately) that would open our puppy crates and steal there toys and chew bones. Really had no interest in the puppy, just wanted its stuff! [​IMG]

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Well this one is going to get outsmarted. It may take two human adults to do it, but he WILL be outsmarted. [​IMG]

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:And here I was going to look to you Brindle for help. Now what am I gonna do???? [​IMG]

6. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

But let him do it once 1st Gritsar and have the camera ready!! Jax could be a you-tube hit!! Dont deny him (or us) the pleasure.

I speak for all BYCers when I say 'WE WANNA SEE'!!! [​IMG]

7. mylittlezoo

mylittlezoo Poppy Creek Farm

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    Quote:Well this one is going to get outsmarted. It may take two human adults to do it, but he WILL be outsmarted. [​IMG]

Good luck! Our guy can also open the baby gates which we use to contain them to various parts of the house, and the gate to the 'dog park' are which we have fenced off in our back yard. It's funny right up until he lets the husky out and I have to spend hours chasing him up and down the road apologizing to the neighbors as he races through their yards. [​IMG]

8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    [​IMG] I can hear it now [​IMG]

Operator: 911 what is your emergency?

Grit: I am locked in a dog crate,

Operator: giggle... isnt anyone there that can let you out??

Grit: No, my husband is locked in the other crate.

Operator: GIGGLE.. I bet you tried to outsmart your dog again didnt you??

Grit: Yes Mam

Operator: You know this is the 3rd time this month we have had to send someone to let you out of the crate, why dont you just quit trying to outsmart JAX

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas

Good luck! Our guy can also open the baby gates which we use to contain them to various parts of the house, and the gate to the 'dog park' are which we have fenced off in our back yard. It's funny right up until he lets the husky out and I have to spend hours chasing him up and down the road apologizing to the neighbors as he races through their yards. [​IMG]

Strange thing about Jax. He has no interest whatsoever in leaving the fenced yard. We never take him out of the yard, for walks on the farm, except on a leash.
    We've left the gate open on several occasions and he stays just inside the fence line. He "patrols" the fence liine multiple times every day.

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Ah! Wow hes smart!! [​IMG]
    And he loooves his mommy, thats why he keeps getting your sweater... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by